Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

VMware Solutions Discussions

VMware SRM plus vFiler fail-over

radek_kubka

Hi all,

Can anyone share their experiences / recommendations / documentation regarding a recovery plan in VMware SRM to include a NetApp vFiler fail-over?

To make it clear:

The application in question spans some VMs hosted on NFS datastores with iSCSI RDMs (so 'regular' stuff), plus flat files in a CIFS file share (already inside a vFiler, which presumably makes fail-over easier). So we need to fail-over VMs and vFiler (with CIFS share) at the same time to make it working.

It does sound doable, as pretty much anything can be scripted as a custom step within SRM Recovery Plan, but it would be really nice to know if someone implemented it (successfully ) already before.

Thanks & regards,

Radek

6 REPLIES 6

radek_kubka

[bump]

Anyone else?

Any actual implementations?

radek_kubka

By pure accident I just stumbled across this blog post from Vaughn Stewart:

https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/virtualstorageguy/blog/2009/04/17/site-recovery-manager-it-s-not-just-for-vms

Pretty much exactly what I was after - why it didn't come up in my search results?

radek_kubka

I got quite useful tip on VMware Communities how to automatically run two different scripts depending whether the SRM Recovery Plan is run in Test, or DR mode:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1876457#1876457

This means we need just a single plan, triggering two different scripts for vFiler testing & vFiler fail-over respectively.

scottgelb

The sra works the same with a vFiler as a physical controller. I wish we had vFiler dr integration with the plugin but don't. So just snapmirror between filers or vfilers.

The cifs share adds a wrinkle but you can script the break and resync. Haven't had to do that yet but would be the same if a vFiler or not.

radek_kubka

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, I am mainly concerned about failing-over the CIFS share (hosted in a vFiler). The main issue I see with including vFiler fail-over as a custom step within SRM Recovery Plan, is the fact that executing the plan in test mode won't work - we can't simply clone a vFiler, can we?

Presumably a separate plan would be required to do testing: something along the lines of cloning a volume from the DR vFiler & presenting it to another vFiler, connected to a test network?

Regards,

Radek

scottgelb

You can clone a volume from a vFiler into another vFiler...that would work but the IPs wouldn't be the same and wouldn't be the bubble network automatically...could ifconfig to make it any way you want though.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public