Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 2.0: bug with rapid cloning

rubinsed1

When I rapid clone from template, RCU places all vmdk's in a single location. for example:

template is setup as follows (for smvi)

vm config files: LUN: "datastore1"

vm vmdk1 file: LUN: "datastore1"

vm vmdk2 file: LUN: "datastore1swap" (independent persistent)

During cloning, I select advanced and ensure all files are kept on the same datastores listed above. final result:

vm config files: LUN: "datastore1"

vm vmdk1 file: LUN: "datastore1swap"

vm vmdk2 file: LUN: "datastore1swap"

If I do a regular deploy from template, the target clone is configured correctly (vmdks in the right location. Now I have to figure out a way to move vmdk1 back to datastore1, which renders the whole rapid cloning useless.

I guess one solution would be to remove the vmdk2 file from the original template, re-rapid-clone the template, and then individually add 5/10g independent vmdks to each vm for guest swap.

Anyone know why RCU works this way? is this intended?

-Ed

4 REPLIES 4

costea

This certainly looks like a bug.  If you tell RCU to place a VMDK in a certain datastore, we ought to do that.  Could you please open a case and send us the logs?

Thanks.

darren_hedges

Same problem happened to me.

It seems to put hard disc 1 on the wrong datastore even after ensuring the correct datastores are selected in the overview before telling it to proceed.

I ended up moving the pagefile back onto the same datastore for the template.  I will then just do a migrate between datastores for that vmdk once deployed.

Costea, I noticed a few other bugs too, where do we file bug reports as I haven't done one of them before.  Also, where do we keep track of the status of any we file?

glowe

Hi Darren--

Typically, in order to get bugs filed with a product, you must first open a support case with Netapp Global Support.  Once you have a case open, the proper data will be collected and provided to the engineering team responsible for that product.

rubinsed1

Thanks. I'll go ahead and submit a ticket. Hopefully we can get this fixed.

-Ed

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public