VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC / SMVI and vFilers

paulasellek

Apologies if this has been covered before. Does the Backup Component of vsc work with dataStores / VMs cut from vFilers?

The monitoring and Host Configuration component finds and dispays the storage (both iSCSI and NFS). But it doesn't appear inside the Backup and recovery component.

I can get it to work with dataStores / VMs cut from both NFS and iSCSI stroage presented from the base vfiler.

I am using vSphere vCenter 5 ( 5,0,0 build 455964) and the vsc version 2.1.1 Build 11242621.

I get lots of errors like this from the vsc cli command  - smvi discover datastores

[ERROR] No storage system defined for target "iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.1573910831:vf.e580ba7c-20c3-11e1-a83e-00a09814a7c2" used by datastore ds_iscsi_clone_1 (4edca78d-4bcad874-ebca-00215aaca842)

[ERROR] Failed to find NFS export path /vol/fv_vs5a_nfs/QT1 for datastore ds_nfs_file_clone on storage system 10.10.10.234. NFS datastores must be exported from a Data ONTAP storage system.

[ERROR] Unable to manage datastore datastore-57: Failed to find NFS export path /vol/fv_vs5a_nfs/QT1 for datastore ds_nfs_file_clone on storage system 10.10.10.234. NFS datastores must be exported from a Data ONTAP storage system.

The 10.10.10.234 address is the correct address for the vFiler.

Many thanks

Paul A Sellek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

antonyj

Backup and Recovery does support vFilers. However each vFiler needs to be added directly to B&R with its ip address.

Is 10.10.10.234 the vfiler0 ? If it's , that's not good enough for backup and recovery.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

antonyj

Backup and Recovery does support vFilers. However each vFiler needs to be added directly to B&R with its ip address.

Is 10.10.10.234 the vfiler0 ? If it's , that's not good enough for backup and recovery.

View solution in original post

paulasellek

10.10.10.234 is the vFiler address.

I had to turn on the httpd.admin.enable option in the vfiler and give the vfiler root account a password to enable it to be found by the B&R

This filer is a FAS3240 running OnTap 7.3.6.

I understood that I only need to turn on httpd.admin.enable for OnTap 8.x.

However, It now works and i can create backups.

Many thanks for your help

Paul

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public