VMware Solutions Discussions

Virtual Storage Console versus SMVI

belgianbiscuit

Hey guys,

I am familiar with SMVI as we are using it. From what I was told it appeared that VSC was a virtual center plugin that allowed you to drive SMVI (among other things)
from within vCenter.
Now that I am getting around to have a play with SVC it seems that it is actually a complete different product and SVC and SMVI are not dependant on each other.
SVC cannot be installed when SMVI is installed on the server. So is this a case of SVC doing the same job (and more) as SMVI and I need to settle on one or the other?

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

amritad

Hi

Take a look at the home view screen of the vCenter server after installing VSC. Go to HomeàNetAppà Backup and recovery. We have tried to keep this screen very similar to the standalone SMVI UI. So set-up, the way you schedule backups etc is very similar to the standalone UI. Take a look and let us know.

The idea was to move all 3 of our VMware plug-ins into a single umbrella installer which is a plug-in so that it becomes easier to use.

Regards

Amrita

belgianbiscuit

Thanks,

So basically SVC makes the standalone SMVI redundant?

Cheers

amritad

Yes if you use the VSC you get all the SMVI functionality + you get the ability to monitor your storage (using the storage console) and the provisioning and cloning capability all in one package from the vCenter.

And let me know if you have any issues navigating. Go through the home page first since it’s similar to SMVI. Then you can try the right click options. So if you right click on any entity say VM you will see a NetApp tab and you will see backup and recovery options to set these options.

Regards

Amrita

amritad

And read the upgrade section of the IAG to see how you can upgrade from SMVI to VSC. And here’s the KB that shows you how to retain all your previous backup jobs.

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb59202

Regards

Amrita

Public