VMware Solutions Discussions

Volume thin provisioning and fractional reserve

KemDatacenter

I'm trying to implement volume thin-provisioning. Volume size is 2TB, free space in the aggregate is 1TB. The only way to set volume space guarantee to 'none' is to set fractional reserve to 100% (Data ONTAP 7.3.2 limitation). As I see it, 100% of space is reserved when I set 100% fractional reserve and then reclaimed back to the aggregate when I set space guarantee to none. And we're OK with it. But the silly thing is that I can't set fractional reserve to 100%, because I don't have enough free space in the aggregate (only 1 TB, when 2TB is needed):

> vol options vmfs_volume1 guarantee none

vol options: Volume option guarantee can be modified only if the fractional_reserve is 100

> vol options vmfs_volume1 fractional_reserve 100

vol options: There is not enough available space in the volume to increase the fractional_reserve.

Are there any workarounds for that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KemDatacenter

I love it. Answering my question myself again. Data ONTAP tried to reserve 100% fractional reserve because there were other LUNs in the volume which I forgot to make thin provisioned. After I thin provisioned all LUNs, I was able to set fractional reserve to 100% without reserving any space in the volume. Then I set space guarantee to none without any problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

KemDatacenter

I love it. Answering my question myself again. Data ONTAP tried to reserve 100% fractional reserve because there were other LUNs in the volume which I forgot to make thin provisioned. After I thin provisioned all LUNs, I was able to set fractional reserve to 100% without reserving any space in the volume. Then I set space guarantee to none without any problem.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public