VMware Solutions Discussions

Where do I find the NFS-plugin for vSphere5?

dejanliuit

Hi.

I can't get a grip of where I can find the NFS-plugin needed to get NFS acceleration in vSphere 5.

It doesn't seem to be a part of the Virtual Storage Console 2.1.1.

I see OnCommand™ Host Package 1.1 with Vmware support, but it seems to be overlapping VSC, and I can't get a grip if this is what I need.

Is it part of a product I need? Is it free?

As we are running Vmware with NFS on our production envirovment I would like to enable the plugin on a ESXi in the envirovment (pre-production) but outside the production cluster(or one ESXi at a time). Is it possible to phase in the plugin or is it systemwide within the same vCenter when I install it?

3 REPLIES 3

keitha

Are you refering to the VAAI optimization for NFS? If so, today it is available only with ONTAP 8.1 c-mode. Is that what you have loaded on your controllers? The VAAI for NFS will be available for 7-mode in a future release of ONTAP (soon!)

When released with 7-mode it will be a free download.

Keith

dejanliuit

Well, we are running Ontap 8.0.1 on our metrocluster. I guess this would be another reason to upgrade to Ontap 8.1 once it is our as GA for our N-series.

You didn't say if the plugin is a part of VSC, Host package or something new.

keitha

MetroCluster is one of those things you can't do with 8.1 c-mode. You will have to wait for the 7 mode release that has the NFS VAAI offloads, (likely 8.1.1 or 8.2)

The module for the NFS offloads is a seperate download from the VSC

Keith

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public