iSCSCI connection form NetApp to ESXi with CISCO NX 3548

syams

Hello Expert,

I have a topology-like picture Below:

syams_1-1664196260041.png

1. 2 ESXi
2. 2 NX3548 (Active-Standby)
3. NetApp FAS2750 with ONTAP 9.11
4. Using iSCSI Connection with NetApp and ESX.

my question is:
1. is it best practice to use vPC, port-channel, and channel-group connection on NX Switch, if I need to set up iSCSI Connection? what are the recommendation and best practices?

2. I have 4 ports of 2 controllers FAS2750, like e0c and e0d, and connected to an NX Switch port using port 7 and port 10, do I need to set up LAG? or just leave it with no LAG so that VMware will arrange or handle it for redundancy and speed performance? because we need to leverage that 4 links active-active.

3. NetApp FAS2750 is the new box, and there is existing FAS2650 with ONTAP 7-mode which will be migrate to the new one.
For your information, I see the existing configuration on the 2 switches above, the existing configuration used vPC with port 1 and port 2 that used NetApp FAS2650.

Thank you for response.

Regards,

Syams

4 REPLIES 4

MartijnMoretDMP

Hi!

First of all, go NFS with NetApp & VMware if you have the chance. Easier to manage, maintain and monitor.
Also easier protocol, because multi-path is not needed, Nas interfaces fail-over to the other controller.
Use two aggregates, one on each controller and two interfaces. This way, you use the two controllers optimal and always on preffered paths.

1. is it best practice to use vPC, port-channel, and channel-group connection on NX Switch, if I need to set up iSCSI Connection? what are the recommendation and best practices?

- As you use only one 10 Gbit from the NetApp, I would not use a VPC, but active/standby adapter in the vSwitch on ESXi.

2. I have 4 ports of 2 controllers FAS2750, like e0c and e0d, and connected to an NX Switch port using port 7 and port 10, do I need to set up LAG? or just leave it with no LAG so that VMware will arrange or handle it for redundancy and speed performance? because we need to leverage that 4 links active-active.

- I would simply use ALUA (built-in ESXi and NetApp) and not go LACP/LAG, etc. 
- Keep it simple and if you need more bandwidth, expand.

3. NetApp FAS2750 is the new box, and there is existing FAS2650 with ONTAP 7-mode which will be migrate to the new one.
For your information, I see the existing configuration on the 2 switches above, the existing configuration used vPC with port 1 and port 2 that used NetApp FAS2650.

- It is hard to comment on this as I do not know the history of the choices made.
Read: https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/netapp-solutions/pdfs/sidebar/VMware_vSphere_with_ONTAP_Best_Practices.pdf

Have fun! Regards,
Martijn

syams

Hi Martijn,

Very much Appreciate to writing me back 🙂

- Our customer needs to use iscsi and not NFS 🙂

1. is it best practice to use vPC, port-channel, and channel-group connection on NX Switch, if I need to set up iSCSI Connection? what are the recommendation and best practices?

- As you use only one 10 Gbit from the NetApp, I would not use a VPC, but active/standby adapter in the vSwitch on ESXi.
-
we have 2X10Gb from FAS250: 1 port from Controller 1&2 to Switch 1=total 2 ports 10Gb (on the left as you can see on the topology) and 1 port from Controler1&2 to Switch 2=total 2 ports 10Gb.
so as per your recommendation does not config vPC, channel-group, and LACP on the switch port that used ISCSI to New NetApp FAS2750 ? 

3. - It is hard to comment on this as I do not know the history of the choices made.
- yes Martinjn, I do not know why they are setup vPC to use iSCSI Connection. to be honest I do now have a shared history for that, so that's why I am asking for the best practice. but thank you for you response.

MartijnMoretDMP

Hi,

The only need for iSCSI is Exchange on-premises. I cannot think of any other reason.

It is not possible/recommended to create a VPC over the two controllers. If you want to aggregate two ports, you need two ports on the same controller; so 4 in total.

Please read the PDF I sent, It contains almost all info!

Have fun!

ttran

Hello @syams ,

The document VMware vSphere with ONTAP Best Practices : NetApp Solutions shared by @MartijnMoretDMP  contains various best practices, specifically pages 10-11 cover networking configurations.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp
Public