VMware Solutions Discussions

Highlighted

iSCSI target IP with vif

I have an LACP vif (4 interfaces) configured across two Cisco 3750 switches (stacked). I left the default Target Portal Group Tag of 2000 alone, which holds all 4 interfaces. When I add the target IP in the iSCSI initiator on ESXi 4.x, I only added the first IP of the vif. VMware automatically discovered the other IPs and now shows them as valid paths. Should I be adding those vif aliases manually to the target list anyway, or is one enough for discovery? I added the extra IP aliases but saw no change in the path information (nor did I expect any).

Is this the same for Windows 2008 R2 (with the NetApp MPIO DSM) as well (that is, should I add all vif aliases explicitly or is one IP enough)? Thanks for any insight or guidance.

Jim

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: iSCSI target IP with vif

Just an aside....when I configure iSCSI on Windows 2008 R2 (with NetApp MPIO DSM) it only shows 1 path to the LUN I provisioned, unlike ESXi 4.x (which shows 😎 despite both having the same physical connectivity. I added a vif alias IP to the target list, but still saw only one path. Then I added a second session (using the alias IP as the destination) and now it shows 2 paths to the LUN. So the NetApp DSM requires manual path creation, which is odd considering that even EqualLogic's DSM automatically spins up sessions to each controller IP.

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums