The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to reigister at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

VMware Solutions Discussions

Netapp and VMware 4.1 SIOC

dandillharsch

Anyone out there have information or recommendations regarding the vmware 4.1 storage i/o control feature in netapp environments?

This is the whitepaper that explains the details of SIOC:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-vSphere41-SIOC.pdf

It seems that if I had a single lun or volume on a single netapp raid group then it would be a no-brainer to enable this feature. (one to one ratio between a vmware lun and set of spindles – no concurrency)

However, we have multiple vmware luns/volumes striped across a given raid group/aggregate along with other non-vmware workloads on those aggregates.  For this scenario I’m not sure if enabling SIOC would be a plus or a minus.  It also seems that such a setup would be common in netapp-land so I figured I’d see if anyone else has looked into this.

My default action would be to leave it not enabled (default) but I certainly don’t want to leave any storage/vmware benefits sitting unused.

Thoughts?

1 REPLY 1

ekashpureff

SIOC would help if you're pounding on any given data store from a number of ESX hosts.

SIOC won't kick in until you start getting greater than the trigger latency on a given LUN/data store.

I don't see any issue with turning it on by default.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Senior Systems Architect / NetApp Certified Instructor
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public