The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to reigister at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Function, data types (integer, string), for loop

korns

I have a function that creates a comma-separated list of hostnames which is used as a parameter for and NFS export create command. It works with one exception. It is very short and easy to show it working, and failing.

==== begin-snip ====

def oraExportList( env, clnm, first, last, iface)

{

exportList = "";

hostPfx = "xlp";

for ( int i =  first; i <= last; i++ )

{

exportList = exportList + hostPfx + clnm + padNumber(i,2) + "-" + iface + "," ;

}

return exportList.substring(0,exportList.length()-1); // trims last character (comma at end-of-line)

}

==== end-snip ====

Hitting the [Test] button and providing the expression ...

oraExportList("dev","odb",5,"08","sp132")

... works as expected. It iterates from 5 thru 8 and creates a list of formatted hostnames as desired.

xlpodb05-sp132,xlpodb06-sp132,xlpodb07-sp132,xlpodb08-sp132

HOWEVER, I need the function to accept string parameters. Even thou first and last are used as integer values by the function I need to pass them as strings. Note that the 3rd parameter, named 'first' is passed as: 5 without quotes which is what I would call an integer being passed. The functions starts its simple for-loop by setting i = first and continuing while i <= last.

What I need is for the function to work with this expression ...

oraExportList("dev","odb","05","08","sp132")

When I call it with first as a string it runs error free but only iterates through the loop 1 time and returns

xlpodb05-sp132

I've tried to explicitly convert first and last to integers with something like:

int begin = first;

int end = last;

for ( int i =  begin; i <= end; i++ )) { ... }

But no luck. Six-pack of beer to whoever can advise what is going on here. (NOTE: suggesting I write this in PowerShell is not appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

You can type-cast MVEL like this:

first = (int) first;

and it will work fine:

==== begin-snip ====

{

exportList = "";

hostPfx = "xlp";

first = (int) first;

{

}

return exportList.substring(0,exportList.length()-1); // trims last character (comma at end-of-line)

}

====end-snip===

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

korns

Awesome! Thank you SInhaa. I knew it had something to do with "type" but I was mistakenly trying things like "first = [int] first" which is more like PowerShell typing syntax.

sinhaa

You can type-cast MVEL like this:

first = (int) first;

and it will work fine:

==== begin-snip ====

{

exportList = "";

hostPfx = "xlp";

first = (int) first;

{

}

}

====end-snip===

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public