Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Looking at using WFA to create qtrees and shares

oalexis

Hi,

We are looking at using WFA and want to use it to create qtrees and shares from qtrees paths. Currently this is a manual process and takes half a day. I see that WFA can automate qtree creation etc, but how do you specify a set of qtrees (> 100 and names increment... qtree1,qtree2,qtree3). Then from that will create shares with the same names and set permissions. Can someone give me some guidance on how this can be done?

Was going to look at Powershell to do this but figured I'd look at WFA first.

thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

oalexis,

Since you don't have any WFA experience, giving you a solution right now won't make sense. I can only say whatever your current automation need is, you can get it done within minutes with WFA. And you'll be surprised by the flexibility and possibilities it can offer.

I suggest you download latest release and go through its user guide. Get in touch with NetApp Sales/Support etc. Read some developer's Guide and try some sample workflows.

WFA is a very intelligent frame-work, and like any other intelligent system, it requires some learing before you can use it.

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ekashpureff

Oalexis -

WFA is a framework for when there are many processes you need to do repeatedly.

If your qtree/share creation is a one off project you may want to just write a quick PowerShell script for it.

Won't take the time to write your script for you, but ...

For X=1 to 100

Create qtree /vol/volname/qtreenameX

Create share

Next X

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff, Sr.
Independent NetApp Consultant http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff
Senior NetApp Instructor, IT Learning Solutions http://sg.itls.asia/netapp
(P.S. I appreciate 'kudos' on any helpful posts.)

oalexis

Thank you for that! But yes this will be repeated task across three filers. Usually it's about 180 qtrees I create in one setting. Right now I use an excel spreadsheet to keep  track and to do the following:

1. create qtrees
  2. set qtree options
  3. create shares from qtrees
  4. set permissions

It can take a while because the putty session will crash if I paste too many lines at once... and it's a pain. I guess either way will work.

sinhaa

oalexis,

Using WFA for your task is the right choice and you'll like it more when you start using it just for its shree strenght and ability. There are 1000s of advantages of using WFA over standalone scripts.

For your task:

1. You can create Qtrees using Create Qtree command and set options. Create shares using Create CIFS share, and Set ACLs

2. You can use loops to repeate the Qtree creation eetc.

3. You can use Incremental naming featue to automatially name the qtrees, and shares.

I'll post you an example workflow for you. Give me a day. Which is your WFA version?

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

oalexis

Thannk you for responding! We don't have WFA installed yet. So it will be the latest version available. Truly appreciate the effort!!

abhit

There is already a workflow in WFA for creating a qtree CIFs share.

Name: "Create a Clustered Data ONTAP Qtree CIFS Share"

Description:

Creates a qtree on a Clustered Data ONTAP storage system and exports it over CIFS. This workflow includes:

- Creating a qtree in the specified volume on the specified Storage Virtual Machine.
- Creating a CIFS share on the newly created qtree's path
- Adding Access Control Lists on the CIFS share as specified.

A new workflow for creating qtrees in Clustered Data ONTAP will be released soon via http://automationstore.netapp.com.

Let us know if you are looking for that workflow.

Regards

Abhi

oalexis

Thank you Abhit. Will check that out as well!

sinhaa

oalexis,

Since you don't have any WFA experience, giving you a solution right now won't make sense. I can only say whatever your current automation need is, you can get it done within minutes with WFA. And you'll be surprised by the flexibility and possibilities it can offer.

I suggest you download latest release and go through its user guide. Get in touch with NetApp Sales/Support etc. Read some developer's Guide and try some sample workflows.

WFA is a very intelligent frame-work, and like any other intelligent system, it requires some learing before you can use it.

sinhaa

oalexis

Thank you. I'll just go ahead and start playing with it. Appreciate the feed back!

arvindasingh

@sinhaa 

I am looking for same solution, maybe your workflow will help me.

Can you please give the sample workflow to create multiple qtrees, shares and set ACL.

Right now i have achived to create one qtree, share and set ACL via script. 

However looking for workflow which can enable me create multiple qtrees, shares and set ACL

Thank for your help

Regards,

Arvind Singh

Public