Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

Disk Aggregate and Headroom Performance

SirLoinOfBeef

Is there a way to calculate how many disks in total can be added to an aggregate and what the headroom performance is?

I have a calculation disks/raids + nodes but I have no idea what that means.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bretta

If you are a customer, then your NetApp or partner sales team can help you with that. You can research some of the limits by using Hardware Universe (HWU): https://hwu.netapp.com . It depends on your platform and your storage OS version. NetApp doesn't currently expose our performance and capacity sizing tool to customers.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

bretta

If you are a customer, then your NetApp or partner sales team can help you with that. You can research some of the limits by using Hardware Universe (HWU): https://hwu.netapp.com . It depends on your platform and your storage OS version. NetApp doesn't currently expose our performance and capacity sizing tool to customers.

SirLoinOfBeef

Thank you. Is there a way to manually calculate the headroom?

bretta

Not that I'm aware of. Your partner or NetApp sales team could tell you the maximum throughput of the platform (with infinite disks) and a "generic" workload. Or they could use our sizing tool to get the exact number for your configuration and workloads.

SirLoinOfBeef

Does anyone else know? My senior engineer insists that I can use the data from ActiveIQ to create a graph but I just cannot find the data.

bretta

Can you be very specific about what you want a graph of? For example, what is the X and Y axis specifically? I'm the right person to help you, but I can't understand exactly what you would graph.

SirLoinOfBeef

Well, I know one is time intervals but I do not know what the other is.
I can see the Performance Capacity graph in ActiveIQ but my question is - is there a number that corresponds to "if I have 50% of Performance capacity used what is the 50% free - CPU? IOPS? Utilization? A combination of all three?"

bretta

Active IQ doesn't graph performance capacity. That's a system-level thing that blends CPU, disk, cache, and a few other things. We graph discreet data points (with one exception - CPU Utilization at the node level which I'll address later). Active IQ graphs:

Cluster level: Average IOPS, Network throughput

Node Level: CPU utilization, Latency, IOPS, Protocol IOPS, Network throughput

Aggregate level: Average throughput, Average utilization

Volume level: Volume latency, Volume IOPS

Note: None of these individually predict performance capacity or headroom because you may run out of disk before CPU or vice versa.

Note: There is one predictive graph which Active IQ shows, which is "peak performance" in the node-level CPU graph. This is predicted by ONTAP and is covered in the ONTAP documentation.

SirLoinOfBeef

Bummer.
How can I calculate headroom without using the cli commands?

SirLoinOfBeef

Are there any NetApp docs that show hows to calculate headroom?

SirLoinOfBeef

Thanks. I looked at those but was told not to use cli commands to calculate the headroom.

Public