Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

FAS2020 - IP Config

it_7

Hiya

I'm setting up our FAS2020 . Well it's mostly been done (volumes, luns, iGroups etc), but I'm sturggling with what should be the simplest thing!

The FAS2020 has 2 data ports, console and BMC, so 4 total. Ours has 2 controllers. I have configured a VIF on each controller using both e0a and e0b. These 2 data ports are connected to physically seperate switches (2 switches, one for each data port on each controller) and the BMC is connected to our LAN switches for remote management.

However, i'm struggling with getting Auto Support and anything that relies on internet connectivity (time sync etc). As the data ports are not connected to our LAN they cannot see our mail server or the internet gateway, so that explains why the problems exist, but how do I fix this? I have been advised to have 1 data port from each controller plugged into the main LAN but then how does this affect both a) my VIF into the seperate SAN switches and b) performance on the main LAN.

This seems a bit backwards to me, considering I have read that the BMC can be used for Auto Support etc, which this to me seems sensible.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

lovik_netapp

ok so here you go yes BMC/RLM is totally different from normal data ports they are just like ILO of HP servers so though you have network connectivity with these ports however they can be used only for remote control of your system even when your system is booting and they are totally separate from ontap installed on vol0.

When it's said that BMC/RLM can be used for sending autosupport it means if you have configured remore support agent on your BMC/RLM card netapp can trigger an autosupport however they have to have a path directly from ontap to your mail server and DC to have ontap function correctly.

I donno if I was clear enough to make you understand difference between BMC and normal data port or not but the solution in your case will be to have vlans configured on top of your vif so what you will get is a) you will have redundancy b) connection with corporate vlan to get other functions working.

angelpublishing

For your situation, I would suggest using the SMTP autosupport option. This way you could setup a local SMTP server which has access to the outside world.

angelpublishing

Hi,

For your situation, I would suggest using the SMTP autosupport option. This way you could setup a local SMTP server which has access to the outside world.

angelpublishing

Hi,

Public