Hope someone can help.
Can I hot-add a new loop (DiskShelf14mk4) without an outage on 7.3.2?
I've seen this: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel732_vs/html/ontap/aaconfig/GUID-DA40D7A0-A8F2-41FC-9C71-C3C8F4D8BA47.html which says explicitly that:
To add storage to an active/active configuration configured for Multipath Storage, you need to add the new disk shelf to the end of a loop, ensuring that it is connected to the previous disk shelf and to the controller.
I haven't seen a doc saying I can hot-add a new loop.
Solved! See The Solution
The hardware and service guide for the shelf states support to hot add to an existing adapter with support added for this in ONTAP 7.2.
See page 84, "Hot-adding a disk shelf to an existing adapter in your system"
Sorry, more questions! I'm adding three FC shelves to an active/active cluster in a new loop and NetApp suggests adding one shelf at a time. even after looking at the docs I'm not 100% sure:
I was going to add a single shelf first to both controller heads in the cluster but only single pathed, i.e. no multipathing
1. NetApp1 controller: insert fibre cable to port 0b
2. Shelf 1: insert fibre cable from NetApp1 0b to module A input
3. NetApp2 controller: insert fibre cable to port 0b
4. Shelf 1: insert fibre cable from NetApp2 0b to module B input
If all is OK at this stage I was going to add the additional shelves (still single pathed) followed by introducing the multipathing
5. NetApp1 controller: insert fibre cable to port 1b
6. Shelf 3: insert fibre cable from NetApp1 1b to module B output
7. NetApp2 controller: insert fibre cable to port 1b
8. Shelf 3: insrt fibre cable from NetApp2 0b to module A output
Does this sound reasonable?
That sounds reasonable. Adding one shelf at a time then mpha after..I prefer one change at a time like this.. I would also send an autosupport before and after the shelf addition so the configuration is sent in case of any issues. You can also open a case to review your procedure.
Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless