Active IQ and AutoSupport Discussions

How to send email to internal mailbox only, but not back to NetApp

rohland

I have customers that would like to be notified of an event happening, but have no desire for the notification to be sent anywhwere outside of their organization. From the way I see AutoSupport working, when an event happens, an email is generated and sent to a minimum of two recepients - Netapp support and an internal customer/partner address. My desire is to disable the transmission or attempted transmission to NetApp, yet retain the mailing internally. Our documentation in the system administration guide doesn't cover how to do this. Assistance appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peter_lehmann

That's an easy one...

Do the following on the CLI:

>options autosupport.support.enable off

(this switches off the NetApp part)

>options autosupport.to email1@internal.com,email2@internal.com

(internal mailadresses)

>options autosupport.doit TEST

(sends a message with the Subject TEST to the 2 mailadresses)

Peter

PS not sending to NetApp also has some impacts on the supportability of the systems from NetApps point of view...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

peter_lehmann

That's an easy one...

Do the following on the CLI:

>options autosupport.support.enable off

(this switches off the NetApp part)

>options autosupport.to email1@internal.com,email2@internal.com

(internal mailadresses)

>options autosupport.doit TEST

(sends a message with the Subject TEST to the 2 mailadresses)

Peter

PS not sending to NetApp also has some impacts on the supportability of the systems from NetApps point of view...

rohland

Thank you kindly.

andris

1. AutoSupport information in the Data ONTAP 8.1 System Administration Guide has been updated with good information.

2. Try "man autosupport" from the CLI.

3. The AutoSupport page on the support site has a very nice FAQ. This topic is covered, I believe.

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/olio/autosupport/

martym

This option should ONLY be used if there is no way the customer can send the AutoSupport outside of their environment. By not sending the AutoSupport to NetApp, the customer is not able to take advantage of our reactive capabilities like case creation and auto parts replacement, nor our proactive capabilities such as health checks and risk notifications.

This should be a last option for secure environments.

Please contact me offline if this is not the case and there are other reasons.

Marty Mayer

rohland

Marty - I whole heartedly agree. It should only be used if there is no way the customer can send the AutoSupport outside their environment.

My customers work is that type of environment. We are trying to encourage them to enable what they can without endangering the work they do, and help deliver the maximum benefit from our products. Throughout my account and in USPS in general we are working to drive the adoption of ASUP higher. It's not easy going under the conditions some of our accounts have, so this is the next best alternative to not using it at all.

Public