Ask The Experts

Netapp ds14 mk2 fc drives shows up in disk management but device not ready

kyharryson

I have set the bytes to 512 and the shelf id is 1 not blinking no faults and windows recognises the drives. But says device not ready and i can't bring the drives online for some reason is their a option i am missing i am using a emulex fc hba

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Few things I would suggest here to begin with.

Verify if entire configuration is supported i.e ontap version / Host OS / Emulex HBA (support.netapp.com/matrix)

Could you give us this info:
1) Filer Model 
2) Ontap OS version 

3)  Shelf [ You have already mentioned : ds14 mk2 fc | let us know the size of the disk ]
3) Emulex HBA version
4) Host OS version
5) filer> igroup show
6) filer> lun show -v

On the Windows host, use the lputilnt facility to determine which filer a device is served by:
Go to Lputilnt --> Adpater --> FCP bindings. Check the ID number and Target (WWN). This ID Number and target WWN for each filer (target) will be unique, so you can identify the filer serving the LUN.

To determine which LUN maps to which device:
Computer management --> Storage --> Disk Management.
Right-click the disk number and select Properties.
Select Check Device Target ID number for the LUN.

This target number for the LUN will be the same as the ID number from lputilnt above, so you can identify which LUN on the filer maps to the device on the host.

I am assuming  when you say disk management, you are reffering to windows ?

Also send us:

1) filer> ems event status

2) filer>rdfile /etc/messages

3) disk show -v

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Few things I would suggest here to begin with.

Verify if entire configuration is supported i.e ontap version / Host OS / Emulex HBA (support.netapp.com/matrix)

Could you give us this info:
1) Filer Model 
2) Ontap OS version 

3)  Shelf [ You have already mentioned : ds14 mk2 fc | let us know the size of the disk ]
3) Emulex HBA version
4) Host OS version
5) filer> igroup show
6) filer> lun show -v

On the Windows host, use the lputilnt facility to determine which filer a device is served by:
Go to Lputilnt --> Adpater --> FCP bindings. Check the ID number and Target (WWN). This ID Number and target WWN for each filer (target) will be unique, so you can identify the filer serving the LUN.

To determine which LUN maps to which device:
Computer management --> Storage --> Disk Management.
Right-click the disk number and select Properties.
Select Check Device Target ID number for the LUN.

This target number for the LUN will be the same as the ID number from lputilnt above, so you can identify which LUN on the filer maps to the device on the host.

I am assuming  when you say disk management, you are reffering to windows ?

Also send us:

1) filer> ems event status

2) filer>rdfile /etc/messages

3) disk show -v

kyharryson

I've figured it out I just need to know how to change the luns cos they are all 0

Public