EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

E-Series E2812 Failed disk replacement (OS 11.70.3)

Terry-Lui

Hi All,

I got a broken disk today when I being volumes group extend implementation, I have order RMA and follow the manual to being fail disk replacement. After I login to SANtricity for checking status, the replacement disk was in unassigned. Volumes group now still in degree status, I has been put the disk assigned as spare. But it still not take action for volumes group rebuild, what should I do?

P.S. The processing job still running volumes extend, may I know the rebuild job was cannot process with volumes extend at the same time?

Many thanks.

Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ahmadm

Traditional volume group expansion is a lengthy operation due to the layout of volumes within the group. Dynamic disk pool handles expansion much better and faster because of its random distribution of the volumes and their associated records.

A volume group can only undergo a single exclusive operation. Since the expansion operation was taking place, the rebuild did not probably kick off.  I suggest to open a support case so they can review the current state of the system and if any adjustments are necessary.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ontapforrum

Please check this section - "Traditional RAID Volume Groups" in the following kb.

E-Series drive failure - AutoSupport Message:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/E-Series_Storage_Array/E-Series_drive_failure_-_AutoSupport_Message

Alternatively, I also advise to raise a case/ticket with NetApp Support. I suppose, it will be quicker to get it assessed and response.

Terry-Lui

Hi Bro,

Thanks for your reply.

As I have been checked KB which is disk will rebuild automatically, but now the disk didn't being recover process. Since I am add new disk into exiting RAID group, the process time need 2xx hrs!!! How crazy X.X

Ontapforrum

Any update ?

Just came across this kb, it suggests it can be very slow for VG compared to Disk pools.

Why E-Series volume expansion for one volume when using Volume Group is very slow ?
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/E-Series_Storage_Array/Why_E-Series_volume_expansion_for_one_volume_when_using__...

Terry-Lui

Hi Bro,

Thanks for your information again.

I already issue support case and support said the extend job still running so RAID group cannot rebuild now.

ahmadm

Traditional volume group expansion is a lengthy operation due to the layout of volumes within the group. Dynamic disk pool handles expansion much better and faster because of its random distribution of the volumes and their associated records.

A volume group can only undergo a single exclusive operation. Since the expansion operation was taking place, the rebuild did not probably kick off.  I suggest to open a support case so they can review the current state of the system and if any adjustments are necessary.

Public