EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

One E2712 controller-drive tray connection to DE212C

JuanCarlosrl

Hi guys,

I have an E2712 array with 2 controllers and I want to add a DE212C drive tray.
I have reviewed the manuals and I cannot find an example of how to make the connection. Appears as connecting DD1600 (SAS-2) trays but not DE212C (SAS-3)
Can someone help me how should I connect?

I attach the example that comes in the manual. Should I make the same connection despite being a DE212C tray?

Namely:

Controller A (port 1 exp) cabling to Tray A IOM port 1

Controller A (port 2 exp) cabling to Tray A IOM port 2

Controller B (port 1 exp) cabling to Tray B IOM port 1

Controller B (port 2 exp) cabling to Tray B IOM port 2

Is it like this or is it another way?

Thank you, 

Regards, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ahmadm

Hi,

You have it cabled correctly. Dual connections from controller A to IOM A, and the same for the B side. This is correct for setups where DE121C is the only expansion tray.

For more complex configurations that may include both SAS-2 and SAS-3 enclosures behind an E2700, there is a good knowledge base article that covers other cabling scenarios:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/E-Series_Storage_Array/Adding_IOM_drive_shelves_(DE212C%2C_DE224C%2C_DE460C)_to_...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ahmadm

Hi,

You have it cabled correctly. Dual connections from controller A to IOM A, and the same for the B side. This is correct for setups where DE121C is the only expansion tray.

For more complex configurations that may include both SAS-2 and SAS-3 enclosures behind an E2700, there is a good knowledge base article that covers other cabling scenarios:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/E-Series_Storage_Array/Adding_IOM_drive_shelves_(DE212C%2C_DE224C%2C_DE460C)_to_...

JuanCarlosrl

Thank you very much ahmadm for the answer, in the link you sent me there are several examples of how everything should be connected.
It is true that the example that I propose does not appear, but it seems that the form that you indicate is the correct one, controller A to IOM A, and controller B to IOM B.

Thank you very much for your help

MitchBlackburn
Hi,

Since the IOM ports can handle both input and output, what you describe would be fine. Here's the graphic of how we would have someone do it. Note the changes on what ports are used. The ports being used are for consistency when describing how to cable.
[cid:image001.png@01D77C76.8B0BF200]

-Mitch

JuanCarlosrl

Thank you very much MitchBlackburn for the reply. I understand as you are indicating that the connectivity is correct.
You have attached a .png image to me but I can't see it, is it an architecture of how it should be connected?

Thank you!!

Public