General Discussion

Cannot perform file restore from Snapcentre plugin in VSphere 6.5

CC_NetApp

Hi,

We are having trouble performing a file restore from vSphere 6.5 using  the NetApp snap centre plugin.  There seems to be an issue pulling the vmdk and mounting the restore to the proxy server.

The error we are seeing is : Aggregate  is not in aggr-list of Vserver 

Any ideas?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Ontapforrum

Hi ,

Open netapp system manager, go to respective vserver, edit vserver settings,  go to resource allocation and assign data aggregate to the vserver.

I dont know which version of ontap you are using, but you just need to assign data aggregate to the vserver so that it can do provisioning / flexcloning during restore.

Thanks!

CC_NetApp

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out regarding this.  I am still a novice when it comes to managing NetApp storage systems so I am having trouble finding where this setting is.

We have Ontap 9.6 and Vsphere 6.5

When you say vserver I can't seem to find this setting.  Is it in the Ontap settings or Vsphere management? this has worked previously so I am slightly confused as to why this would stop working?

Thnks!

Ontapforrum

Hi, 

You can also do it from the Ontap command line:

Just ssh to NetApp Cluster:

check if you have aggregate assigned already

::> vserver show -fields aggr-list -vserver <vserver>

If not then assigned, then add aggregate to the vserver 
::> vserver add-aggregates -vserver <vserver> -aggregates <aggr_name>

Aggregate assigned could be the one whose volumes are attached to the vserver.

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-psmg%2FGUID-5255E7D8-F420-4BD3-AEFB-7EF65488C65C.html

Just check out the documentation for your ontap version.

Thanks!

CC_NetApp

Hi,

Thanks again for helping with this.

I have ran that command from the terminal and it is showing the cluster, node 1 and node 2 and also the SVM as part of the aggregates.  Like I said, this has worked before so I am not sure what's happened.

Thanks

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Please upload the  snapcenter log bundle, or jobfailed log set.

Also, the output of this command:

::> vserver show -fields aggr-list -vserver <vserver>

Thanks!

CC_NetApp

Hi,

I have raised a case with NetApp for this but if you don't mind answering a few questions around this while the call gets picked up that would be very helpful!

When I try to restore to the proxy VM from our primary I get this error :

Unable to mount datastores:  in Backup: 108.Failed to create volume clone for volume : Failed to create the volume clone. Cannot create volume. Reason: aggregate  is not in aggr-list of Vserver 

When I try to restore to the proxy VM from our secondary location I get this error :

Unable to mount datastores:  in Backup: 100.com.vmware.esx.hostctl.default: Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to resolve hostname 

Are these both the same issue as secondary location error would suggest a name resolution?  Also what impact would there be if I had to re-add the aggregate?  would the data be at risk or downtime occur?

Thanks so much for the help!

CC_NetApp

Hi,

I have had a look on the SVM tab in ONTAP system Manager and have noticed that non of the aggregates were assigned Volume creation resources.

If I assign the aggregate this resource will it have any impact on the live data?

I have attached a screen grab for info.

Cheers!

Ontapforrum

That's exactly the settings I was mentioning in the initial response. You must add (delegate) the aggregate , it's just an assignment and it has ZERO impact. It's Non-disruptive.

CC_NetApp

Hi,

Ok thanks for that, I will add that aggregate and hopefully that will solve the issue.

Is there a reason why all of the aggregates were de-selected as this has worked before?  would all of the aggregates need to be selected in order to do a guest restore or just the aggregate with the proxy VM?

Cheers!

Ontapforrum

Don't know how it has worked for you in the past but in theory during restore/mount process (DB verification) 'volume clone' is created using flex-clone and in order for this to succeed, the containing aggregate must be assigned to the Storage Virtual Machine (SVM), so that SVM can delegate volume creation privilege. If this has not been configured, the clone/verification operation will fail. Thanks!

CC_NetApp

Hi,

I have now completed the guest restore but does it recover the entire VMDK?  as it is quite a large and I only need a folder recovered.

There is a datastore with (sc-20200311153635549) on the end.  Is this the recovered data? do I just need to unmount this and delete it from the proxy VM?  

Apologies for all the questions and thanks again for your help with this

Ontapforrum

Please have a look at the doc, it pretty much covers everything. I  don't have my snapcenter lab access at the moment, so can't give you that level of visibility. I am sure you can manage it from here.

Restoring guest files and folders from VMDKs:
http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-40/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-dpg-vm%2FGUID-85229FC2-F889-4487-961A-578E00FEE044.html

Public