General Discussion

Grace period for soft quotas on NFS?

Shanewilliams

Having been a unix admin for decades, I assumed that the soft/hard quota distinction implied a grace period the way it does on many unix systems, so I was surpirsed when I couldn't find any options or documentation on that feature.  I've read the docs and at least one knowledge-base page, and everything I find makes it sounds like the soft limit is really the same as "threshold" allowing you to send warning emails to users at two different thresholds.  Am I missing something or does the grace period functionality not exist on NetApp NFS shares?  Is there any plan to add this feature?

If it's really just a threshold, then perhaps renaming it to that (so that you'd have a "warning threshold" and a "critical threshold" or some similar distinction) would make more sense?

1 REPLY 1

DJ-Potsdam

HI Shane,

How are you doing?

There is no grace period. Its fixed when you setup the quotas until you change it and resize the quota.

The hard limit sets a limit on operations, it can be configured setting up limit on either file or disk. In the other hand, the soft limit will alert the Administrator/users to take actions to increase the quotas if required.

The naming does make sense, atleast it does for us who has been using NetApp for past 8+ years. May be you need to get used to it 🙂

Have a good one.

Cheers,

Deepu Joseph

Public