General Discussion

NetApp VSC 9.7P2 , ONTAP 9.7P3 and VMware 7.0U1

MicheleD

Hi All,

Now that VMware 7.0 update 1 is out GA, is there any compatibility issue with:

NetApp VSC 9.7P2

NetApp ONTAP 9.7P3

Apologies if the question has been documented already. The IMT shows the VMware 7.0 compatibility. Is it a safe assumption considering VMware 7.0 update 1 for an upgrade?

Thanks for your feedback,

Michele

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mattjudson

We have upgraded our production environment vcenters to U1. I can confirm that the VSC plugin is working fine. What did break ans has issues is the Netapp Element plugin for our Netapp HCI.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Ontapforrum

I checked as well, IMT do not show 'update 1' as of yet, to be honest every version of vmware (hypervisor) in the IMT has respective "updates" clearly mentioned. However, for vmware 7.0, update 1 is not yet made it to the IMT, therefore only engineering can address this answer. I think the important thing to know is - Whether it is supported or not ?, b'cos it may work but if it's not yet test certified then it will not be supported and your environment could be jeopardize. It may be worth raising a support ticket to get a definite response on this query if it's urgent.

MicheleD

Thanks for your answer, I will try to run a quick test in non prod env and eventually open a ticket to support. Is there an ETA for test/GA releases on IMT based on other products release dates? I guess VMware APIs would be available to Partners sometime before going live. Thanks for your assistance, Michele

mattjudson

I can tell you it works in 7.0, but as said it hasn't made it to NetApp's interoperability matrix yet and given how long it took 7.0 to show there it could be quite some time....we have an urgent need to upgrade to 7.0 U1 so we are going to upgrade regardless..... I would assume that most likely it works ok, but that is purely a guess at this point.... I will let you know in a couple weeks after we go through our upgrade to 7.0 U1 how it works....

MicheleD

Thanks @mattjudson for your answer. I'm planing on running a small test as well and see how things go. Time-frame for the test possibly 2/3 weeks. I will post the results here so we can all share. It would be great also to have the official answer from NetApp Support when is ready. TBH I'm not aware of any massive change between VMware 7.0 and 7.0.1 so that should not interfere with Partners support. I guess we'll find out in the coming days with more inputs from customers and the Community.

Regards,

Michele

Stiegelis

I've just upgraded my test environment from VMware 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 and I see no problems with VSC 9.7p2

all information is still the exact same after the upgrade.

MicheleD

Hi @Stiegelis ,

This is excellent news! thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

Michele

mattjudson

We have upgraded our production environment vcenters to U1. I can confirm that the VSC plugin is working fine. What did break ans has issues is the Netapp Element plugin for our Netapp HCI.

MicheleD

Thanks @mattjudson for sharing the details. Sorry about the HCI bit!

Kind Regards,

Michele

Public