General Discussion

SnapMirror Resync Scenario

nicholsongc

Follow along...

I break a SnapMirror relationship (involving a FlexGroup volume) between SITE "A" (PROD) and SITE "B" (DR) and release the mirror.  Note: I do not delete any snapshots from either side

I then create a new relationship between SITE "A" (PROD) and SITE "C" (pre-PROD) and complete the initialization.

The data is then cut-over and SITE "C" is now PROD.

Should I be able to then create a new relationship and RESYNC between SITE "C" (PROD) and SITE "B" (DR)? 

Or will I need to re-initialize?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Re-sync will not work. You will need to re-initialize from C to B.

As I understand your plan:
1st : A(PROD) ---------> B (DR) [Both A & B will have common-snapshot for their respective relationship, hence sync & re-sync is possible]

2nd : A(PROD) --------> C (pre-PROD) [Both A & C will have common-snapshot for their respective relationship, hence sync & re-sync is possible]

3rd : C(PROD) --------> B (DR) [No, There  is no-common-snapshot between C & B to perform resync/sync] = re-initialize will be needed.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Re-sync will not work. You will need to re-initialize from C to B.

As I understand your plan:
1st : A(PROD) ---------> B (DR) [Both A & B will have common-snapshot for their respective relationship, hence sync & re-sync is possible]

2nd : A(PROD) --------> C (pre-PROD) [Both A & C will have common-snapshot for their respective relationship, hence sync & re-sync is possible]

3rd : C(PROD) --------> B (DR) [No, There  is no-common-snapshot between C & B to perform resync/sync] = re-initialize will be needed.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

nicholsongc

Thank you.  And just to expand this for my edification...  had the destination at "C" been a cascade from "B" (and not a FlexGroup volume), there-synch would be possible?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public