General Discussion

e2700 to e2600 connection

krondizzle
I have a netapp e2700 and an e2600.  I would like to conect them together.  The e2700 has a sas sff-8644 and the e2600 which has a sas sff-8088.  Can i just buy an adapter to connect them?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

Yep.   just sas.  

If you look at HWU, there are adaptor cards out there to add FC or iSCSI to it. 

X-52710-00-R6 is the 2p 10Gb iSCSI card.     (not sure current availability though) 

check out https://hwu.netapp.com for more details. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SpindleNinja

You can't,  they're controllers with disks,  not shelves.  And I don't think there are conversion kits out there for the e. 

Can I ask why you're trying to do this?   

krondizzle

We currently have a e2700 wich is acting as our storage for backup.  We received an e2600 from a sister company.  Bare with me as I am not very familiar with netapp equipment.  I think the e2600 has a 3612 chassis.  We would like to connect the e2600 via sas to the e2700 to expand the storage.  Would sas not work for this?

SpindleNinja

Quick blurb on NetApp systems;  there's 3 major types of physical systems.  

AFF/FAS - Runs ONTAP OS

eSeries  - Runs SANtricity 

Solidfire / HCI - Runs Element OS.   

As far as your 2700 and 2600  they are two different generations of the eseries controllers/arrays.       You can connect and e-Eeries to a FAS platform via FlexArray.   But you have eseries to eseries.     I don't think there is a way to turn the 2600 in to just a shelf (maybe buy ESMs) 

How is your current eseries setup?   DataStores to VMware?    You could just run them side by side.   

krondizzle

The e2700 is attached to vmware via ISCSI.  I would be more than happy to try that.  Just to give you some information, I logged into the e2600 via santricity but didnt see any iscsi settings.  Now I know that there are different firmware versions for the e2700 to set it to iscsi or fiber channel.  I dont know if I am missing the settings or if it is like the e2700 and I just need to get a different firmware version.  Or maybe I am just crazy.

SpindleNinja

The eseries ship with a couple different configs.    

But two general configs are: 

• Direct Connect SAS via mini-SAS HD ports
  • FC/iSCSI via SFP ports.   

it'll say what type of ports are on the back of the 2600. 

krondizzle

On the back it just has two ethernet and three sas ports.  So I am assuming it only supports sas.  Is that correct?

SpindleNinja

Mmm.... Are you able to post a picture?    but yeah,  probably just 2 sas to the hosts and 1 expansion port. 

krondizzle

IMG_20190221_110743.jpg

SpindleNinja

Yep.   just sas.  

If you look at HWU, there are adaptor cards out there to add FC or iSCSI to it. 

X-52710-00-R6 is the 2p 10Gb iSCSI card.     (not sure current availability though) 

check out https://hwu.netapp.com for more details. 

krondizzle

I will look into that.  I think I will end up trying to add it to the server with an hba.  Thank you very much for your help on this.

Nona

Even i have the same doubt.

https://freeaccountsonline.com/free-runescape-accounts/

Public