Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Intermittent System.IO.FileNotFoundException from Get-NaHostDisk and Get-NaHyperV

hugh_kelley

I have a script that runs hourly inside our monitoring platform and occasionally (script runs once an hour, condition occurs once every few days) I get this exception

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

from either of these iterations:

foreach($disk in Get-NaHostDisk)

{}

foreach($disk in (Get-NaHyperV $vm.Name).Storage)

{}

It seems to self-resolve the next time the script runs and it happens on multiple servers (all running SMHV).  Any ideas why?

Hugh

3 REPLIES 3

timothyn

Do you have disks adding/removing or moving between servers on a regular basis?

The next time you see that, please run this command and paste the output here:

$Error[0] | fl -force

That'll give us a stack trace with more info to debug.  Thanks!

hugh_kelley

It took a few weeks for the condition to return, but as requested:

Exception             : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.Vds.IVdsDisk.GetIdentificationData(VdsLunInformation& lunInfo)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.DiskDiscovery.DiskService.GetDiskResource(VdsDisk vdsDisk)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.DiskDiscovery.DiskService.GetDiskResources(IEnumerable`1 vdsDisks)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.DiskDiscovery.DiskService.GetAllDiskInfo()

at DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Windows.GetHostDisk.ProcessRecord()

at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()

TargetObject          :

CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-NaHostDisk], FileNotFoundException

FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Windows.GetHostDisk

ErrorDetails          :

InvocationInfo        : System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo

PipelineIterationInfo : {0, 1}

PSMessageDetails      :

quincybowers

I frequently get the exact same error when running Get-NaHostDisk.  Running a second time generally works.  But this delays things significantly.

Here is the stack trace I get:

Exception             : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRE

SULT: 0x80070002)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.Vds.IVdsDisk.GetIdentificationData(VdsLunInformation& lunInfo)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.Vds.VdsDisk.GetLunInformation()

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.DiskDiscovery.DiskService.GetDiskResource(VdsDisk vdsDisk)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.DiskDiscovery.DiskService.GetDiskResources(IEnumerable`1 vdsDisks

)

at DataONTAP.HostUtilities.DiskDiscovery.DiskService.GetAllDiskInfo()

at DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Windows.GetHostDisk.ProcessRecord()

at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()

TargetObject          :

CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-NaHostDisk], FileNotFoundException

FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Windows.GetHostDisk

ErrorDetails          :

InvocationInfo        : System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo

PipelineIterationInfo : {0, 1}

PSMessageDetails      :

And here is some Powershell I have written to get past the issue for the time being.

$retries = 3

$success = $false

while ((-not $success) -and ($retries -gt 0))

{

$retries -= 1

"Attempting to run [Get-NaHostDisk -DataOntap].  $retries retries remaining."

try

{

$NaHostDisks = Get-NaHostDisk -DataOntap

$success = $true

}

catch

{

"ERROR::$($_.Exception.ToString())`nWhile executing Get-NaHostDisk."

}

}

if (-not $success)

{

throw "Unable to get the HostDisk mapping from the NetApp."

}

A better solution to this would be appreciated.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public