Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

vmdk convert to vhdx

masaru

Hi

I am testing vmdk convert to vhdx using powershell.

When execute convert command, following error occurred.

NetApp SVM name: vsshift

Do I need to add other procedures?

Please advise to me.

Best Regards,

-Masaru

<Log>

C:\Users\administrator.SMBTEST> Connect-NCController -Name 10.130.204.116 -Credential vsadmin -HTTPS

e Address           Vserver              Version

- -------           -------              -------

1. 130.204.116 10.130.204.116 takano_vsshift       NetApp Release 8.2P3 Cluster-Mode: Thu Sep 12 01:13:07 P...

PS C:\Users\administrator.SMBTEST> ConvertTo-NcVhdx -SourceVmdk \\vsshift\share_shift\Win2012-1\Win2012-1.vmdk -DestinationVhdx \\vsshift\share_shift\Win2012-1\Win2012-1.vhdx

ConvertTo-NcVhdx : Could not find file \\vsshift\share_shift\Win2012-1\Win2012-1.vmdk on NetApp.

line:1 string:1

+ ConvertTo-NcVhdx -SourceVmdk \\vsshift\share_shift\Win2012-1\Win2012-1.vmdk -Des ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [ConvertTo-NaVhdx], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Toolkit.HyperV.ConvertToNaVhd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

masaru

I’ve solved this issue with help of NetApp colleague.

And it occurred additional issues and find solutions, I write down problem and solution follows.

Problem 1

Could not find file \\test_SV\test_share_\Win2012-1\Win2012-1.vmdk on NetApp.

Solution

PSTK version is old.

Update PSTK to latest version. ZAPI module in old PSTK include some bug.

Problem 2

xxx.vmdk is not on NetApp storage

Solution

Divide data lif and management lif. and connect to management lit using Connect-NCController command.

If your SVM have only data lif , create management lif , and connect to storage management lif.

Problem 3

Source and destination files must reside on the same controller

Solution

Specific that IP address directly in the covertto-ncVHD cmdlet instead of DNS name(machine name).

I hope to help you.

And I would like to thank their colleagues who work together to solve problems!

Masaru

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

masaru

I’ve solved this issue with help of NetApp colleague.

And it occurred additional issues and find solutions, I write down problem and solution follows.

Problem 1

Could not find file \\test_SV\test_share_\Win2012-1\Win2012-1.vmdk on NetApp.

Solution

PSTK version is old.

Update PSTK to latest version. ZAPI module in old PSTK include some bug.

Problem 2

xxx.vmdk is not on NetApp storage

Solution

Divide data lif and management lif. and connect to management lit using Connect-NCController command.

If your SVM have only data lif , create management lif , and connect to storage management lif.

Problem 3

Source and destination files must reside on the same controller

Solution

Specific that IP address directly in the covertto-ncVHD cmdlet instead of DNS name(machine name).

I hope to help you.

And I would like to thank their colleagues who work together to solve problems!

Masaru

Public