ONTAP Discussions

Adding Nodes to Cluster With Used Shelves

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hello,

I am making plans to add two nodes to our recently created cdot cluster.  The current cluster consists of an 8060 HA Pair.  I will be adding a 3270 HA Pair, which are currently running in 7-Mode.  When I add them to the cluster, the storage for one node will be 'used' storage that needs to be wiped out and have the OS installed.  The other node will use brand new storage but will still need the OS installed.  My question is, how do I assign the disks in the 'used' storage to the appropriate node?  Does this require going into maintenace mode?  Lastly, after I assign the disks, how do I tell the filer that I want to install cdot and not 7-mode?

6 REPLIES 6

RPHELANIN

Assign the disk in maintenace mode otherwise it wont boot

Have a look in the link below for the options required to enable cDOT

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&locale=en_US

You are aware that the 3270 need to be on the same cDOT OS release to join the cluster?

Also look up the documentation on adding nodes to a 2 node cluster as you need to modify the HA value of the current cluster and the nodes going in.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you Rphelanin!  When I clicked the link I got the following: "The article was not found, is restricted to NetApp employees and partners, or is no longer available".  Is there an alternate link?

Yes I am aware I will need to install the same version of the OS.  I have the Cluser Expansion Express Guide for adding nodes to a 2 node cluster, and it mentions ensuring that hardware level HA is enabled.  Is that what you are referring to?

aborzenkov

It has been replaced with KB 1015457; can you access it?

I am not sure what "hardware level HA is enabled" means, but I suspect it simply tries to say that only HA pairs are supported in multi-node clusters. I.e. you can only add whole HA pairs (both nodes), not individual nodes.

Otherwise while repurposing controllers is really easy, there could be some unexpected issues depending on previous course of events. So it is always preferred if someone with good NetApp experience does it.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hi , thanks for your comments.  The other KB you mentioned covers the opposite scenario of the one I'm doing (it covers converting cdot filers to 7-mode).

I would prefer that someone with more NetApp experience did this but we didn't want to spring for Pro Services for this one, so I'm having to figure it out.

aborzenkov

The other KB you mentioned covers the opposite scenario of the one I'm doing (it covers converting cdot filers to 7-mode).

Oh, this is just how search on KB works. The article you mention is https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1014786 but it has text 1015457 in its body and so is found during search. I assume you do not have permissions to access 1015457 (or are doing search without logging in); otherwise it prefers direct KB number match. Full URL is https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1015457 - can you acces it?

TMADOCTHOMAS

No, I get the following: "The article was not found, is restricted to NetApp employees and partners, or is no longer available".

Public