ONTAP Discussions

Adding one (1) disk from existing aggregate

AdminNetapp091320

Hello Experts!

I'm done with simulation, I was able to run this command with no issue " 

storage aggregate add-disks aggr01 -diskcount 1 -simulate true

But i'm confuse what raid group should i should for the final touch. Below sample command suggesting to use "-raidgroup new "

Command: storage aggregate add-disks -aggregate aggr_name -raidgroup new -diskcount number_of_disks_or_partitions

But this is going to be for my existing aggregate and I just wanted to add one disk initially. There are 10 disks on the target aggregate and i have 10 spare disks available upon checked. On GUI side I have an options to choose "New, Specific RAID Group and  All RAID group. Please advise what should be the correct RAIDGroup to use. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

With only 20 disks. I would just keep a single raidgroup.  

what does "

storage aggregate add-disks aggr01 -diskcount X -simulate true

give you.  where X = N-1 spares.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

With only 20 disks. I would just keep a single raidgroup.  

what does "

storage aggregate add-disks aggr01 -diskcount X -simulate true

give you.  where X = N-1 spares.  

AdminNetapp091320

Hi  ,

My disk has a capacity of 3.x TB  per disk. Given the numbers of my total spare disk, would it be fine to add just one (1) disk for the meantime? Or what should be the recommended number of disk?

Going back to my concern regarding  RaidGroup, currently i only have one (1) raidgroup configured. So options would be 

similar like these:

storage aggregate add-disks -aggregate aggr01 -raidgroup rg0 -diskcount 1 -simulate true

storage aggregate add-disks -aggregate aggr01 -raidgroup rg0 -diskcount 1 

SpindleNinja

1 spare for 20 drives is enough.   leaving that many as a spare is kinda a waste. 

Keep in mind you also have 2 parity drives as well in the raid group. 

You can also adjust your raidgroup size if needed.   

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/topic/com.netapp.doc.dot-cm-psmg/GUID-EE30CDA9-095F-4DD1-9A29-BB9F0E55DB4F.html

what is your overall goal here? 

Public