ONTAP Discussions

Any issues using the e0M ports for an SVM admin lif?

WAYNEWATKINS

I can't select the e0M port via System Manager but I can choose the port if creating the LIF at command level. Is there any issues using the e0M ports just for an SVM admin LIF which then can be used to talk to SnapCenter and VSC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

e0M also doesn't have link state detection, so the LIF won't failover if the port goes down for some reason. On balance of risk, it's probably fine to manually put it on there.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AlexDawson

e0M doesn’t support VLAN tagging, nor any sort of ifgrp membership for HA, it is really just meant for node management. You probably shouldn’t do it if you have any other choice - so to turn the question around, why do you want to do it?

WAYNEWATKINS

The physical connections I have for the NFS lifs are on a different network and I need an admin LIF for SnapCenter on the management network, which currently is only physically connected to the e0M ports.

AlexDawson

e0M also doesn't have link state detection, so the LIF won't failover if the port goes down for some reason. On balance of risk, it's probably fine to manually put it on there.

Public