ONTAP Discussions

Browse a CIFS Server Using Local Admin Account

TMADOCTHOMAS

How do you browse a CIFS Server using the local administrator account? We have a CIFS Server that's going to be disconnected from the domain, and our admins then need to access it afterwards to copy data off. I cannot figure out how to connect. I've tried:

net use <drive> /user:<cifs_server_name>\administrator \\<cifs_server_name>\c$

and I get "system error 67 the network name cannot be found".  I can browse the CIFS Server in Windows Explorer and open it in Computer Management with my domain creds. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi. Eliminate SVM name and the C$ from your path on the vserver security file-directory show command. (simply use the /volume_name, or as it showed in the junction field with the command "volume show -junction").

As for the local user access, make sure you in the right version and its configured as in the following KB:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Are_local_users_and_groups_and_Workgroup_mode_supported_in_clustered_D...

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TMADOCTHOMAS

One expansion on this. I tried using vserver security file-directory show on the OnTAP command line just to verify I can access the CIFS Server that way, and it doesn't work either. I've tried:

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/c$/

and 

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/c$/<root_volume>

and

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/c$/<root_volume>/<share_name>

and lastly

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/<share_name>

Nothing works. I get "the specified path cannot be used. Reason: no such file or directory". But when browsing in Windows Explorer they are all there!

GidonMarcus

Hi. Eliminate SVM name and the C$ from your path on the vserver security file-directory show command. (simply use the /volume_name, or as it showed in the junction field with the command "volume show -junction").

As for the local user access, make sure you in the right version and its configured as in the following KB:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Are_local_users_and_groups_and_Workgroup_mode_supported_in_clustered_D...

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you @GidonMarcus . I should note I was able to figure this out by mapping a drive. I was doing some of the steps wrong and figured it out. As an FYI the link doesn't work ... may be a permissions thing.

Public