Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

ONTAP Discussions

Browse a CIFS Server Using Local Admin Account

TMADOCTHOMAS

How do you browse a CIFS Server using the local administrator account? We have a CIFS Server that's going to be disconnected from the domain, and our admins then need to access it afterwards to copy data off. I cannot figure out how to connect. I've tried:

net use <drive> /user:<cifs_server_name>\administrator \\<cifs_server_name>\c$

and I get "system error 67 the network name cannot be found".  I can browse the CIFS Server in Windows Explorer and open it in Computer Management with my domain creds. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi. Eliminate SVM name and the C$ from your path on the vserver security file-directory show command. (simply use the /volume_name, or as it showed in the junction field with the command "volume show -junction").

As for the local user access, make sure you in the right version and its configured as in the following KB:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Are_local_users_and_groups_and_Workgroup_mode_supported_in_clustered_D...

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TMADOCTHOMAS

One expansion on this. I tried using vserver security file-directory show on the OnTAP command line just to verify I can access the CIFS Server that way, and it doesn't work either. I've tried:

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/c$/

and 

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/c$/<root_volume>

and

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/c$/<root_volume>/<share_name>

and lastly

vserver security file-directory show -vserver <vserver> -path /<vserver>/<share_name>

Nothing works. I get "the specified path cannot be used. Reason: no such file or directory". But when browsing in Windows Explorer they are all there!

GidonMarcus

Hi. Eliminate SVM name and the C$ from your path on the vserver security file-directory show command. (simply use the /volume_name, or as it showed in the junction field with the command "volume show -junction").

As for the local user access, make sure you in the right version and its configured as in the following KB:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Are_local_users_and_groups_and_Workgroup_mode_supported_in_clustered_D...

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you @GidonMarcus . I should note I was able to figure this out by mapping a drive. I was doing some of the steps wrong and figured it out. As an FYI the link doesn't work ... may be a permissions thing.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public