ONTAP Discussions

Cant find other node when trying to setup a HA pair

wolfy

Running ONtap9.1 here, we have a testing NetApp that hasnt been turned on for about a year, i just recently bought a HA cable from online so figured ill connect the FAS2240-4 and try and create a HA pair.

I connected the cable and created a cluster from scratch, i used the GUI after giving e0M an IP and it said it could only detect one node.

After connecting the HA cable, is tehre something i have to do so i can add the secondary node to the cluster?

Any help would be more than appreiciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Remove the console port from Node 1 and connect it to Node 2. Connect using the COM port it detected and follow the initial setup just as you did with Node 1. When it prompts for cluster setup, choose to join to the existing Cluster. It will ask for cluster port IP of Node 1, just remember that.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Remove the console port from Node 1 and connect it to Node 2. Connect using the COM port it detected and follow the initial setup just as you did with Node 1. When it prompts for cluster setup, choose to join to the existing Cluster. It will ask for cluster port IP of Node 1, just remember that.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

wolfy

thanks mate, so i went behind it and looked at the cabling and one half of the cabling is linking up but the other 2 arent (connecting diagnally since there isnt any additional shelf).

So what youre saying is that, i need to connect the COM port to the secondary node and setup the secondary node like i did with the first one and then ill be able to add the 2nd node to the cluster which results in the link being up?

also i clean installed OnTAP 9.1 so if i were to set up the secondary node, what would the default user and passwork would be?

sorry mate im a little new to these things so your comment really helps!

thanks!

Ontapforrum

No worries, take it easy.

Node2 is not aware of the Cluster, therefore it must be first initialized and there is no password needed at this point. Once you connect the console cable to the Node 2 console port and other end to your Windows laptop, go to Device Manager, note the COM settings. Then, using Putty connect using the serial port and wait for few seconds...messages will pop-up, just follow the instruction and give it a Node-Mgmt IP and other stuff. When it comes to cluster-setup prompt : It will ask to create or join. Simply join, once that is done, you will be able to see both Nodes. Provided there are no other errors. Please do keep us updated.

Thanks!

wolfy

hey! thank you heaps for the help! with your help i was able to create the secondary node and was able to join the cluster!

you are a life saver!

Public