ONTAP Discussions

Converting 7-mode filer to cluster-mode filer

HASMIK_HAYRAPETYAN

Hi All,

I have fas2040 filer in 7-mode but need to test some API calls for cluster-mode filers and I am looking for ways to do that.

I have found out that it is possible to convert filer from 7-mode to cluster-mode but it seems that with my credentials I don't have authorization to access KB, where the flow is described.

If anyone could advice where to look for it or provide any documentation I would be very grateful.

But I have a few concerns here - is backward conversion (from cluster to 7-mode) possible or I will loose 7-mode forever?

Is there any other way to make some API calls to cluster-mode filer?

Thank you very much anyone for help.

Regards,

Hasmik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dburkland

If you are looking for how to convert a 7-mode filer to Clustered ONTAP (cDOT) checkout the following KB article:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&cat=DATA_ONTAP_8_CLUSTER_MODE&actp=LIST

If you cannot access the KB article shoot me a PM.

Dan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rwelshman

If you just need to do some testing, perhaps it would be easier to use a simulator instead of going through the process of switching the filer to cluster-mode. Is the 2040 filer a test system?

HASMIK_HAYRAPETYAN

Hi Riley,

Thank you very much for the response. What you mean by saying test system? We use that filer for testing needs.

I would be very grateful if you could give  me a hint how to use simulator.

Regards,

Hasmik

dburkland

If you are looking for how to convert a 7-mode filer to Clustered ONTAP (cDOT) checkout the following KB article:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&cat=DATA_ONTAP_8_CLUSTER_MODE&actp=LIST

If you cannot access the KB article shoot me a PM.

Dan

HASMIK_HAYRAPETYAN

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for the reply, but I don't have access to that KB

Regards,

Hasmik

shubhammishra

Hello Dan

I need this article but I do not have the necessary access...

Is there a way through which I can acquire it..

Thanks for help

Shubham

ABTORRES1

Hi Dan,

could you possibly send me this KB as well? 

-Alen

KanikaAggarwal

Hello 
Can you please share the Kb article, i cant find it online on Netapp Site, TIA.

CCOLEMAN_

If you go to your "My AutoSupport" portal you should see a "Transition Adviser" option to help you understand the implications and possibility of migrating to C-Mode.

You can pretty easily migrate volumes from 7-mode to C-Mode, but it would take some serious leg work to go back.

I hope this helps.

HASMIK_HAYRAPETYAN

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get that information.

aborzenkov

You will need to completely reinstall filer losing all existing data; and the first thing you will need are c-mode licenses. Do you have them?

You should also be able to reinstall back in 7-mode; again losing all existing data.

HASMIK_HAYRAPETYAN

Thank you for the help.

I don't worry about loosing old data, but I am not sure about c-mode license, I'll try to find out if we have that, but If it is different from 7-mode license, mu guess is that we don't have it. Could you please provide more information about c-mode license?

BTW where I can find some guide regarding backward conversion (from 7-mode to c-mode)?

Public