The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to reigister at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

Converting 7-mode filer to cluster-mode filer

HASMIK_HAYRAPETYAN

Hi All,

I have fas2040 filer in 7-mode but need to test some API calls for cluster-mode filers and I am looking for ways to do that.

I have found out that it is possible to convert filer from 7-mode to cluster-mode but it seems that with my credentials I don't have authorization to access KB, where the flow is described.

If anyone could advice where to look for it or provide any documentation I would be very grateful.

But I have a few concerns here - is backward conversion (from cluster to 7-mode) possible or I will loose 7-mode forever?

Is there any other way to make some API calls to cluster-mode filer?

Thank you very much anyone for help.

Regards,

Hasmik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dburkland

If you are looking for how to convert a 7-mode filer to Clustered ONTAP (cDOT) checkout the following KB article:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&cat=DATA_ONTAP_8_CLUSTER_MODE&actp=LIST

If you cannot access the KB article shoot me a PM.

Dan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

aborzenkov

You will need to completely reinstall filer losing all existing data; and the first thing you will need are c-mode licenses. Do you have them?

You should also be able to reinstall back in 7-mode; again losing all existing data.

Thank you for the help.

I don't worry about loosing old data, but I am not sure about c-mode license, I'll try to find out if we have that, but If it is different from 7-mode license, mu guess is that we don't have it. Could you please provide more information about c-mode license?

BTW where I can find some guide regarding backward conversion (from 7-mode to c-mode)?

CCOLEMAN_

If you go to your "My AutoSupport" portal you should see a "Transition Adviser" option to help you understand the implications and possibility of migrating to C-Mode.

You can pretty easily migrate volumes from 7-mode to C-Mode, but it would take some serious leg work to go back.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get that information.

dburkland

If you are looking for how to convert a 7-mode filer to Clustered ONTAP (cDOT) checkout the following KB article:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&cat=DATA_ONTAP_8_CLUSTER_MODE&actp=LIST

If you cannot access the KB article shoot me a PM.

Dan

View solution in original post

KanikaAggarwal

Hello 
Can you please share the Kb article, i cant find it online on Netapp Site, TIA.

ABTORRES1

Hi Dan,

could you possibly send me this KB as well? 

-Alen

shubhammishra

Hello Dan

I need this article but I do not have the necessary access...

Is there a way through which I can acquire it..

Thanks for help

Shubham

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for the reply, but I don't have access to that KB

Regards,

Hasmik

rwelshman

If you just need to do some testing, perhaps it would be easier to use a simulator instead of going through the process of switching the filer to cluster-mode. Is the 2040 filer a test system?

Hi Riley,

Thank you very much for the response. What you mean by saying test system? We use that filer for testing needs.

I would be very grateful if you could give  me a hint how to use simulator.

Regards,

Hasmik

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public