ONTAP Discussions

DNS Check command failing but name resolution ok

pedro_rocha

Hello,

Does anyone has ever seen this?

- I am able to resolve any name in the domain using ping command on ONTAP (9.7P3);

- dns check command fails with server down and Operation Timed Out:

pedro_rocha_0-1596664181138.png

It smells like a bug. I am almost opening a case with NetApp to check.

Regards,

Pedro Rocha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Thanks everyone that tried to help. I was reviewing the "UPGRADE ADVISOR PLAN ADDENDUM" and saw on it the following:

" The "vserver services name-service dns check" command reports "Operation timed out" " 

This information is bundled with a link to  a BUG: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1151206

I think that it may be the issue I am facing. Since it is not being a problem now, it's ok.

Regards,

Pedro

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

Could be.   I’d patch to p6 anyway.  

TMACMD

Try using “-instance” at the end of the command. Might have more details. Check your routes with “route show”

paul_stejskal

Also, you might check with a tcpdump command too.

I haven't seen many if any cases of where there were problems with DNS resolution or connectivity in general in 9.7.

parisi

DNS check does a basic A record query for example.domain.com. Nothing fancy.

Perhaps your DNS server blocks queries like that?

54 2.087774 10.193.67.237 10.193.67.236 DNS 78 Standard query 0x96b2 A example.ntap.local

55 2.088023 10.193.67.236 10.193.67.237 DNS 142 Standard query response 0x96b2 No such name A example.ntap.local SOA oneway.ntap.local

::*> dns check -vserver DEMO
Name Server
Vserver Name Server Status Status Details
------------- --------------- ------------ --------------------------
DEMO x.x.x.x up Response time (msec): 46

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Thanks everyone that tried to help. I was reviewing the "UPGRADE ADVISOR PLAN ADDENDUM" and saw on it the following:

" The "vserver services name-service dns check" command reports "Operation timed out" " 

This information is bundled with a link to  a BUG: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1151206

I think that it may be the issue I am facing. Since it is not being a problem now, it's ok.

Regards,

Pedro

Public