ONTAP Discussions

DNS Check command failing but name resolution ok

pedro_rocha

Hello,

Does anyone has ever seen this?

- I am able to resolve any name in the domain using ping command on ONTAP (9.7P3);

- dns check command fails with server down and Operation Timed Out:

pedro_rocha_0-1596664181138.png

It smells like a bug. I am almost opening a case with NetApp to check.

Regards,

Pedro Rocha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Thanks everyone that tried to help. I was reviewing the "UPGRADE ADVISOR PLAN ADDENDUM" and saw on it the following:

" The "vserver services name-service dns check" command reports "Operation timed out" " 

This information is bundled with a link to  a BUG: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1151206

I think that it may be the issue I am facing. Since it is not being a problem now, it's ok.

Regards,

Pedro

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

Could be.   I’d patch to p6 anyway.  

TMAC_CTG

Try using “-instance” at the end of the command. Might have more details. Check your routes with “route show”

paul_stejskal

Also, you might check with a tcpdump command too.

I haven't seen many if any cases of where there were problems with DNS resolution or connectivity in general in 9.7.

parisi

DNS check does a basic A record query for example.domain.com. Nothing fancy.

Perhaps your DNS server blocks queries like that?

54 2.087774 10.193.67.237 10.193.67.236 DNS 78 Standard query 0x96b2 A example.ntap.local

55 2.088023 10.193.67.236 10.193.67.237 DNS 142 Standard query response 0x96b2 No such name A example.ntap.local SOA oneway.ntap.local

::*> dns check -vserver DEMO
Name Server
Vserver Name Server Status Status Details
------------- --------------- ------------ --------------------------
DEMO x.x.x.x up Response time (msec): 46

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Thanks everyone that tried to help. I was reviewing the "UPGRADE ADVISOR PLAN ADDENDUM" and saw on it the following:

" The "vserver services name-service dns check" command reports "Operation timed out" " 

This information is bundled with a link to  a BUG: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1151206

I think that it may be the issue I am facing. Since it is not being a problem now, it's ok.

Regards,

Pedro

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public