ONTAP Discussions

Install can't find mtcb_dfm.pl?

joycem

Having some trouble installing the Windows version of the MCTB. Hopeful this is something simple I've missed.  Anyone have trouble with the install script finding mctb_dfm.pl?

Step 1 – Install the Operations Manager Script Plugin completes successfully

Step 2 - Running the install script

Causes this error in Operations Manager:

• Execution of 'perl C:\Program Files\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\script-plugins\MetroCluster-TieBreaker\mctb_dfm.pl' failed.
  • Reason: The system cannot find the file specified

The reason it can't find the file is that the PATH needs to be quoted.   So, I tried manually running in a cmd prompt as follows

perl "C:\Program Files\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\script-plugins\MetroCluster-TieBreaker\mctb_dfm.pl" install

and then I received the following error:

Installing MCTB Windows Service

===============================

intserv is not recognized as an internal or external command

Screen shots attached of install attempts and  error messages.

Thanks for any help you can provide

-Joyce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Joyce

Is perl installed on your DFM/OCUM server ?  I tried to recreate the error but the only time I could do this was when perl was not installed.

Once I installed perl, this error went away. Also couple of things I noticed which you can try and confirm if that helps.

1. The path should only be till bin and the .exe part
  2. Since you installed perl after dfm/ocum can you stop and start dfm service and check if you still get this error.

We had a similar issue in another case and this solved it.

https://communities.netapp.com/message/112223

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

abrian

Hi Joyce,

It's likely that Perl hasn't been installed on DFM server (Perl is necessary for MCTB on Windows DFM servers).  Please use Active State perl, as we have had problems with other distributions.  Here's a link: http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads

Don't buy anything!  Perl is free, but ActiveState does provide commercial products wrapped around their Perl distro, and sometimes it looks like you need to buy something to get it, but you don't.

Let me know if you have any more questions or issues.

Brian

joycem

I downloaded perl yesterday same perl you are indicating – activestate.  The perl version I have 5.16, says has to be higher than 5.10 in doc

On Windows you need double quotes around the path if there are blanks in the path.  That is why it can find the install script.

Also,  I was able to run the script in cmd prompt – and received the other error about “instserv”.   Which says perl is loaded.

abrian

Yeah, I never install Perl under Program Files, or any other path with spaces in it.  It causes too many problems.  It's a drag that the default installation directory for the ActiveState installer is under Program Files.

Does that resolve your issue, or are you still having problems?

joycem

Perl is not installed under Program Files, the tiebreaker is installed under Program Files.  There is also a space between DataFabric and Manager in the path below. 

C:\Program Files\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\script-plugins\MetroCluster-TieBreaker\mctb_dfm.pl

Even if I get past the space issues by adding quotes and running mctb_dfm.pl at the command line, I still have the problem where the install script starts to run and then can't find "intserv"

Installing MCTB Windows Service

===============================

intserv is not recognized as an internal or external command

abrian

Interesting.  I just now did a scratch install of MCTB on a DFM server running on Windows 2008 R2 and don't see any of these problems.  What version Windows, DFM, and MCTB are you using?

joycem

Thanks for all your responses and hanging in there with me on this issue.  Here are the versions:

Windows: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) x64 based

DFM: 5.1.0.15008 (5.1)

MCTB: mctb-dfm-plugin-windows-2.1.1

abrian

And you installed MCTB by using the Operations Manager script installation mechanism, as described in the Admin Guide?

Have you run “install” and “validate” jobs from the OM MCTB script interface?

joycem
  1. 1. Did you install MCTB by using the Operations Manager script installation mechanism, as described in the Admin Guide?  Yes
  2. 2. Have you run “install” and “validate” jobs from the OM MCTB script interface? Ran install not validate – just ran validate same error as install

abrian

Oh, also, mctb_dfm.pl isn't designed to be run manually, you have to run it from the script interface in Operations Manager.

adaikkap

Hi Joyce

Is perl installed on your DFM/OCUM server ?  I tried to recreate the error but the only time I could do this was when perl was not installed.

Once I installed perl, this error went away. Also couple of things I noticed which you can try and confirm if that helps.

1. The path should only be till bin and the .exe part
  2. Since you installed perl after dfm/ocum can you stop and start dfm service and check if you still get this error.

We had a similar issue in another case and this solved it.

https://communities.netapp.com/message/112223

Regards

adai

Public