ONTAP Discussions

Lun move events log filter search

LUN_Move_Events_filter

hi there, I did a 'lun move' over the weekend on a FAS8080, it took many hours and now I'm trying to  find when it completed to determine how long it took.

Are LUN Moves reported as 'jobs' or 'events' and how would I filter all the events to find only the activities related to 'lun moves'. I've tried all the obvious things, but I get zero results.

Anyone have a CLI command to return all lun move activities?

10 REPLIES 10

maffo

hi @LUN_Move_Events_filter 

you can use "event log show" command to filter for specific events, e.g.
::> event log show -severity * -event lun.*

There is also the command "lun move show" that would tell you how long a copy took (if you add -instance at the end), see https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-930%2Flun__move__show.html

paul_stejskal

I think it should be filterable by "lun" or "move". You might make sure you are in diag.

LUN_Move_Events_filter

Diag mode to view lun.move events? That seems extreme. It also makes no difference. I see zero entries with the following command.

event log show -severity * -event lun.*

LUN_Move_Events_filter

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any entries when I run this command.

paul_stejskal
Serial # or host name? I will see if I can find it. The other option is audit-mlog-txt.gz in AutoSupport. maybe you can see when it started at least.

LUN_Move_Events_filter

we are a secure site, no S/N or Autosupport. As much as I want the answer, I'd just like to know how to find it myself.

maffo

Most likely you did not find anything with my command as I didn't provide it correctly, sorry about that.

Some events are logged as lun.* while others are logged as LUN.* and LUN move uses the latter; I would then suggest to change the command to "event log show -severity -event LUN.*"

Based on the EMS event catalog (https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2843561) you should be looking for the events "LUN.move.started" and "LUN.move.dstPresent"

LUN_Move_Events_filter

Fantastic, yes, that worked, who knew, capital LUN.

Ok, so that shows when the move started, and when the new LUN is created in the new destination, but not when the move completes. I know it took a few hours to finish the data copy, there does not seem to be a LUN event which shows this?

How do I find out then the data copy completes?

maffo

the total time it took for the move should be visible with with "lun move show -instance" command.

will see if I can find any other events which can be used for this purpose.

LUN_Move_Events_filter

Thanks Maffo, but no, lun move command only shows results while the move is running, not after its finished.

Public