ONTAP Discussions

McAfee for VSCAN

FelixZhou

Heard we have to use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on VSCAN servers, not sure if this is the optional as a better choice? Looks McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage needs different license rather than McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. can someone share your experience?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi.

I technically tested both with Kaspersky and Symantec for VSCAN on ONTAP 9.1.

To be honest technically the vendor itself not really playing a part. It can help with reports mainly, and has different type of scanning... but everything else is controlled by ONTAP - so I don't think you'll find any actual difference if you compare between the engines.

As for licence cost, I think here you better compare and do workload tests. i wasn't involved with the first two vendors, but with two others we looked at later on last year - If I recall correctly:

One was £2500 per McAfee scanning server. +£300 per year for support. 

And another quote was for TrendMicro with £10 per user per year regardless the number of scanning servers. .

So it's two complete different approaches for licencing - each will better fit to different customer - with a significant cost difference depend on the amount of scanning servers/users and the contract length...  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GidonMarcus

Hi.

I technically tested both with Kaspersky and Symantec for VSCAN on ONTAP 9.1.

To be honest technically the vendor itself not really playing a part. It can help with reports mainly, and has different type of scanning... but everything else is controlled by ONTAP - so I don't think you'll find any actual difference if you compare between the engines.

As for licence cost, I think here you better compare and do workload tests. i wasn't involved with the first two vendors, but with two others we looked at later on last year - If I recall correctly:

One was £2500 per McAfee scanning server. +£300 per year for support. 

And another quote was for TrendMicro with £10 per user per year regardless the number of scanning servers. .

So it's two complete different approaches for licencing - each will better fit to different customer - with a significant cost difference depend on the amount of scanning servers/users and the contract length...  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Public