ONTAP Discussions

McAfee for VSCAN

FelixZhou

Heard we have to use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage on VSCAN servers, not sure if this is the optional as a better choice? Looks McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage needs different license rather than McAfee VirusScan Enterprise. can someone share your experience?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GidonMarcus

Hi.

I technically tested both with Kaspersky and Symantec for VSCAN on ONTAP 9.1.

To be honest technically the vendor itself not really playing a part. It can help with reports mainly, and has different type of scanning... but everything else is controlled by ONTAP - so I don't think you'll find any actual difference if you compare between the engines.

As for licence cost, I think here you better compare and do workload tests. i wasn't involved with the first two vendors, but with two others we looked at later on last year - If I recall correctly:

One was £2500 per McAfee scanning server. +£300 per year for support. 

And another quote was for TrendMicro with £10 per user per year regardless the number of scanning servers. .

So it's two complete different approaches for licencing - each will better fit to different customer - with a significant cost difference depend on the amount of scanning servers/users and the contract length...  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GidonMarcus

Hi.

I technically tested both with Kaspersky and Symantec for VSCAN on ONTAP 9.1.

To be honest technically the vendor itself not really playing a part. It can help with reports mainly, and has different type of scanning... but everything else is controlled by ONTAP - so I don't think you'll find any actual difference if you compare between the engines.

As for licence cost, I think here you better compare and do workload tests. i wasn't involved with the first two vendors, but with two others we looked at later on last year - If I recall correctly:

One was £2500 per McAfee scanning server. +£300 per year for support. 

And another quote was for TrendMicro with £10 per user per year regardless the number of scanning servers. .

So it's two complete different approaches for licencing - each will better fit to different customer - with a significant cost difference depend on the amount of scanning servers/users and the contract length...  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public