ONTAP Discussions

Migrate shares(qtrees) first, and then the volume but without those qtrees already migrated

netappmagic

I have volumes and contain lots of shares(qtrees). The first stage of the plan is to migrate some of qtrees first using qtree based snapmirror to a destination filer. then in the second stage, to migrate the volume using volume based snapmirror but excluding those already migrated qtrees.

My question is about the second stage, is there any way to snapmirror the volume but not those already migrated shares ?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

billshaffer

You cannot exclude data from a volume snapmirror relationship.  What aborzenkov was saying is that you can use QSM to mirror each remaining qtree, then use a special "source" designation of "/-" with QSM to migrate non-qtree data.  Might be a bit of work if you have that many qtrees.  Can you VSM the whole volume, break the relationship, then remove the qtrees you don't want?

Bill

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

netappmagic

anybody please comment on this question?

aborzenkov

I missed the original question, but you could use QSM to migrate qtrees and data, not contained in any qtree separately (use /- as source “qtree” for the latter). You will need to migrate non-qtree data into some qtree on destination and then, if required, move data one level up.

netappmagic

Your answers seem not what I am asking for.

Let me try it again. Within the same volume, I have about 100 qtrees (shaers), the plan is to migrate some of qtrees first, I understand I can use QSM to migrate individual qtree. My question is, after I migrate a certain number of qtrees, can I use VSM to migrate the volume with the rest of qtrees and without those already migrated shares to the same volume name in the destination? Thank you!

billshaffer

You cannot exclude data from a volume snapmirror relationship.  What aborzenkov was saying is that you can use QSM to mirror each remaining qtree, then use a special "source" designation of "/-" with QSM to migrate non-qtree data.  Might be a bit of work if you have that many qtrees.  Can you VSM the whole volume, break the relationship, then remove the qtrees you don't want?

Bill

Public