ONTAP Discussions

NDMP configuration on ontap 9.8 with veritas netbackup 8.3

Prab

Hi Folks,

Is there any specific user guide to configure NDMP with veritas netbackup 8.3. I have already gone through all sort of documentation on netapp. Can some one answer my below questions.

We have AFF400 for which i have LACP 2 ports (e0f/e0h as a0b) which are of 10Gb each and created separate broadcast domain. Does LACP works  on the NDMP backup with veritas?

1. I have currently tapes drives configured with Hitachi NAS now, can we use the same tape drives to configure NDMP on netapp. Will there be any issues or errors with current tape drives which is working fine on HNAS?

If so how exactly the zoning should be done ( Tape Drives and Netapp ports zoning since i use LACP can i add both the ports on each node and make one zone per node). Is this the correct way ?

2. Is it mandatory to create intercluster LIF's? 

3. LIF assigned should be in the same IP range as the backup network?

4. Any requirement that we should use Accelerator for NDMP from Netbackup ?

PS:-- For NetApp filers, Accelerator for NDMP supports only the DUMP format. Consult your NetApp documentation for specific details about its DUMP format.

prod           prod-01_mgmt1
                                                      up/up 10.10.50.100/24 prod-01 e0M true
                      prod-02_mgmt1
                                                      up/up 10.10.50.102/24 prod-02 e0M true
                       cluster_mgmt up/up 10.10.50.103/24 prod-01 e0M true
vserver1
                       datalif10 up/up 10.10.100.20/24 prod-01 a0a true
vserver2
                       datalif20 up/up 10.5.197.61/24 prod-02 a0a true

Appreciate your help.

5 REPLIES 5

pedro_rocha

Hello,

I will try to answer a few questions:

Does LACP works  on the NDMP backup with veritas?

yes (but it depends which will be the data path to the backup destination). check about topology at the end.

1. I have currently tapes drives configured with Hitachi NAS now, can we use the same tape drives to configure NDMP on netapp. Will there be any issues or errors with current tape drives which is working fine on HNAS?

If so how exactly the zoning should be done ( Tape Drives and Netapp ports zoning since i use LACP can i add both the ports on each node and make one zone per node). Is this the correct way ?

Are you using stand alone drives or is it a tape library with multiple drives? Normally, you would need a tape library that could be partitioned. You would assign partitions to NEtApp and HNAS (which would use different tape drives and slots on the tape library).

You tape environment uses FC? You said zoning, but also mentioned LACP. If FC, you need FC ports.

2. Is it mandatory to create intercluster LIF's? 

No. You need intercluster LIFs for intercluster traffic.

3. LIF assigned should be in the same IP range as the backup network?

Please make it clearer

PS:-- For NetApp filers, Accelerator for NDMP supports only the DUMP format. Consult your NetApp documentation for specific details about its DUMP format.

Did you check Veritas Compatibility List?

It's important to understand the NDMP topology you want to use. Can you explain it better?

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-ptbrg%2FGUID-F4BE07BB-928F-4C83-8133-E7CC21AFBD49.html

Regards,

Pedro

Prab

Sorry for the mixup on the post . Its been very long that i have worked on netapp (7mode)  and trying to understand the netapp new terminology.

Does LACP works on the NDMP backup with veritas?

yes (but it depends which will be the data path to the backup destination). check about topology at the end.

Currently we have HNAS and we are using backup topology as Storage system to local tape. I am still discussing with my backup mate. Based on the below article we will either go for direct or indirect topology.
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/NDMP/What_are_the_different_topologies_of_an_NDMP_protocol_and_what_do_t... 

Are you using stand alone drives or is it a tape library with multiple drives? Normally, you would need a tape library that could be partitioned. You would assign partitions to NEtApp and HNAS (which would use different tape drives and slots on the tape library).
Its a tape library with multiple drives (IBM LTO-8 ULTRIUM). From the tape library we will assign partitions? Any documentation will be helpful to understand the tape library partitions.

You tape environment uses FC? You said zoning, but also mentioned LACP. If FC, you need FC ports.
Sorry for confusuion i mixed up existing environment and Netapp.
For Netapp we plan to use LACP (2*10GB Ethernet ports LACP as a0b connected to backup network switch) on each node. I am looking for how to make tape drives available on netapp since we are using ethernet ports which are on LACP.

In case of FC we will do zoning but i am not sure how it will be in case of Ethernet ports?

PS:-- For NetApp filers, Accelerator for NDMP supports only the DUMP format. Consult your NetApp documentation for specific details about its DUMP format.

Did you check Veritas Compatibility List? Yes it been supported and i will have a look on that.

For questions 2 and 3 understood the concept. 

I assume i made progress in explaining the things in right way now. Please do let me know if i have missed any information.

Thank you for your help pedro_rocha.

pedro_rocha

Hi,

Support on partitions is vendor dependent. You may search for your library model plus "partition". They are normally set up in the library GUI and is as simple as specifying which drives and slots will be assigned for the partition.

Your library probably  won't "talk" ethernet. So to plug the NetApp on the library you'll need a backup server connected to the SAN. NetApp will send (ethernet) to the server (Media Server)  that will send to the library (FC). This triangulation is made by Netbackup.

Sorry for the delay. I will try to help as much as I can.

Pedro.

Prab

Hi Pedro,

Yes we have veritas netbackup connected to SAN which is in turn connected to tape library through FC.

NetApp will send (ethernet) to the server (Media Server)  that will send to the library (FC).

Do you mean i need to make ndmp access through the netbackup server (node scoped NDMP) from the netapp (a0b - configure lif in backup network) so that netback and netapp (virtual interface a0b) can access the share?

If the above assumption is right how will be the speed compared to FC? Reason for this ask is Ethernet LACP a0b is 20Gb/sec on each node? My total NDMP backup on this array is about 180TB.

Do you think installing the FC is better option which can be backup through ndmp? 

Please suggest.

pedro_rocha

Hello,

If it's NAS data, I would plug the NetApp controllers to the SAN and make Netbackup run the backup proccess (NETAPP -> TAPE). It's hard to state anything regarding performance. But since you have a SAN, it makes more sense to me to use the SAN for this operation (separated network, dedicated, high performance).

The other way (NETAPP -> MEDIA SERVER -> TAPE) seems indirect and is normal used when people does not have a SAN and the only way to write to tape is through a physical server.

Regards,

Pedro

Public