ONTAP Discussions

Network Data/Management difference

anduriltdm

Hello,

I have a NetApp FAS-2554 (Data On Tap) with two nodes. This NetApp has two controllers. I learn that the management and the data must be in differents networks.

The configuration of my interfaces : 

1) Data Network : 10.0.0.0/8 :

- e0a, e0b of the node 1.

- e0a, e0b of the node 2

2) Management Network : 10.0.1.0/24

- e0M of the node 1 (Node Management)

- e0M of the node 2 (Node Management)

- Cluster_mgmt of the node 1 (Cluster Management)

Cluster_mgmt of the node 2 (Cluster Management)

My question : I want to make a CIFS share. I have a domain controller and I want the NetApp communicate with it. Must the Domain Controller be in 10.0.0.0/8 Network (Data) or in 10.0.1.0/24 Network (Management).

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3

hariprak

Hi,

When you set up a system that includes the e0M interface, the Data ONTAP setup script recommends that you use the e0M as the preferred management interface for environments that use
dedicated LANs to isolate management traffic from data traffic. 
The e0M interface is a low-bandwidth, 100 BT (100 Mbps) interface. It does not support interface groups, VLANs, and jumbo frames.

DNS can be configured in a subnet that is used for data traffic. If your DNS server is not in the same subnet as the storage system you will need to make sure that your gateway matches the subnet.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

anduriltdm

Hi,

My datas interfaces have a subnet named "Default Network".

So, if I understand, I had to configure the DNS in the "Default Network" subnet ? In conclusion, the domain controller must be in 10.0.0.0/8, isn't it ?

Regards.

hariprak

Yes, you are right.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public