ONTAP Discussions

Old FAS2040 ontap 8 7-mode, SMB2 enable can't mount shares windows10

KSTEWARDSON

I'm wanting to turn on SMB2 on my netapps that are running SMB1 now.  

WIndows 10 is our OS and can mount CIFS fine on SMB1 right now.

I went to options enable smb2 on and that worked but then no WIndows10 systems could mount cifs shares.  So i turned if off and we are back to being able to mount the cifs shares.

Not sure what to make of that.  Did i miss something?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Try enabling signing on the storage system for SMB 2, and let us know.

Data ONTAP 7-Mode:
filer> options cifs.smb2.signing.required on

This could be the cause : When the client sends a request to the storage system, the Secure Negotiate feature requires that any error response returned be signed correctly. If the storage system returns an error that is unsigned (smb2.flags.signature == 0), the connection will fail. This will occur even if the storage system does not have SMB 3 enabled (or does not support SMB 3). Clients using the 'Secure Negotiate' feature will expect all error responses to be signed even if those clients only allow SMB 2.0 and SMB 2.1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ontapforrum

Try enabling signing on the storage system for SMB 2, and let us know.

Data ONTAP 7-Mode:
filer> options cifs.smb2.signing.required on

This could be the cause : When the client sends a request to the storage system, the Secure Negotiate feature requires that any error response returned be signed correctly. If the storage system returns an error that is unsigned (smb2.flags.signature == 0), the connection will fail. This will occur even if the storage system does not have SMB 3 enabled (or does not support SMB 3). Clients using the 'Secure Negotiate' feature will expect all error responses to be signed even if those clients only allow SMB 2.0 and SMB 2.1.

KSTEWARDSON

Enabling signing did seem to make a difference testing just from my PC.  I will move on to more broader testing.

Thanks for the tip!

Permit

Hi 

Did you solve this problem?

I have the same problem
Can you tell me how to solve it?

thank you

Public