ONTAP Discussions

OnTAP 9.6 and 7MTT

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thankfully, I discovered today that OnTAP 9.6 will not support the 7 Mode Transition Tool, according to the Release Notes. I say "thankfully" because I'm about to deploy our first OnTAP Select cluster in the next few days and was planning to put 9.6 on it, however I need to run the 7MTT to transition content from an old 2220 so I will now deploy 9.5P6. To any NetApp engineers who read this, I would like to request that the 7MTT be made compatible with 9.6. 7-mode is supported through spring of next year, and this is the time where we will be pushing to get our last handful of small offices with old 7-mode based 2220s onto a cdot based system. I'm sure we are not alone. Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andre_Clark

Folks,

Here's another update. After my discussions with the Partner Solution Center, I was informed that the next version of 7MTT (3.3.2) will support the transitions to 9.6P7 & 9.7P2. The tentative release date is 4/17/2020.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

TMACMD

That may or may not happen. Support was officially removed for TDP (Trtansition Data Protection) Mirrors which is what is ultimately used between 7-mode and ONTAP. I've "heard" that if you open a case with support, there may be a work around. If there is, it likely will not (at least should not) be posted in any community forum.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Interesting. Thanks @TMACMD . I still think it should fully be supported through next Winter. This is the time when the final 7 mode transtions will likely be going on, as it will be for us.

blobby

How do Netapp propose to handle customers that have data on 7 mode devices, in getting that data across to there new Netapp devices / data fabric?

TMADOCTHOMAS

FYI to anyone who sees this thread, as of 9.6P7 and 9.7P2, NetApp has added the TDP SnapMIrror format back.

Andre_Clark

Does anyone know/remember the flag in 7MTT that will allow it to work with 9.6 (now that TDP mirrors are back)? It was a setting file that had to be changed. I remember having to do this before when 9.5 first came out and 7MTT didn't originally work with it.

Andre_Clark

Never mind I found it. In the <7MTT Dir>\etc\conf directory, modify the transition-tool.conf and add the following to the end of the file:

clustered.ontap.versions.supported= 9.6.

Then restart the 7-Mode Transition Tool service

TMADOCTHOMAS

Wow @Andre_Clark I did not know that option existed! Very good to know. Let us know if you are able to test/verify that it truly works after doing that in 9.6!

Andre_Clark

So update on this. This option, which worked before, is not working now. I've reached out to support to see if there's an update or if there's a different file that I'm missing. I'll update once I have an answer.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you very much for letting us know @Andre_Clark ! Hopefully support will add it back.

Andre_Clark

Folks,

Here's another update. After my discussions with the Partner Solution Center, I was informed that the next version of 7MTT (3.3.2) will support the transitions to 9.6P7 & 9.7P2. The tentative release date is 4/17/2020.

TMADOCTHOMAS

@Andre_Clark that is great news! Thank you very much for finding this out from NetApp Support!

Ontapforrum

I tested that config tweak option 9.7P2, and in my earlier response to similar topic in another thread. It does not allow 7MTT, however manual TDP works fine as stated in that BUG.

TMACMD
7-Mode Transition Tool 3.3.2
Date Posted : 14-Apr-2020

3.3.2 enhancements
ONTAP target release support
• Support for copy-based transitioning to following releases:
◦ ONTAP 9.7P2 and later ONTAP 9.7 P releases
◦ ONTAP 9.6P7 and later ONTAP 9.6 P releases
Host system support
• Support for installing the 7-Mode Transition Tool on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0

TMADOCTHOMAS

@TMACMD thank you very much! That is really great news. Makes decisions in the next year a whole lot easier. Thank you NetApp!

Public