ONTAP Discussions

Protect shares with username and password?

SunnyHanda

Hi 

I am new to Netapp Storage and wonder if NetAPP allows to protect shares/folder using username and password? For example - we have this share name "Software" in this share we have "xyz" sub folders. we want that if someone tries to access "software" share then it should ask for username and password. we are using windows 7 and window server 2008. I have this facility in my previous company and we used commvault. Not sure if Netapp has any inbuilt feature. 

thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

mbeattie

Hi,

I would advise restricting the NTFS permissions on your CIFS Share and sub folder using Active directory groups. Users already authenticate to active directory  (entering their username\password) at logon so why force them to do it again when accessing data?

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SunnyHanda

Thanks for replying - really appriciate
We are needing to align the access of employee files to group policy, so are needing to see if we can put a restricted access through a password on a couple of our folders our HR drive. HR drive is being share by so many users in HR but we dont want everyone to see what in those special folders.

Thanks

mbeattie

Hi,

Okay if that's the case then my recommendation would be to use an Active Directory group to restrict access to HR data and then enable ABE (Access based enumeration) on the share so the only users who will be able to see the HR data folder are users who are a member of the HR Active Directory group. Users who are no in the AD group won't be able to see the folder in the CIFS share and if they somehow knew what the UNC path was and attempted to connect to they will recieve an "access denied" error message in windows explorer.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196891/html/GUID-F28FF706-D2ED-4D86-93B8-2017C9E43937.html

What version of data ONTAP are you running (7-Mode or clustered data ONTAP)

/matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SunnyHanda

Hi 

Sorry for late reply, 

we have a FAS3210 model and ONTAP version - 8.1.4P7 7-Mode. Does this model & ONTAP support locking feature and if not then what version supports it if there is any?

Thanks 

Public