ONTAP Discussions

REDUCE lun size DATASTORE

EBA

Hello,
I have a thick provisionned LUN in thin provisionied volume.

This LUN is attached to a ESX (datastore).
I want to reduce the LUN. Is there any risk of data loss?

It there is, how can I do this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

You can't reduce LUN size without reducing size of filesystem on this LUN. 10% used space from host point of view does not mean only 10% is consumed on storage. Check actual space consumption with "lun show -v" - you cannot go below this value even if you disable space reservation for this LUN (without using deduplication and/or compression).

Storage vMotion as suggested in article I mentioned is really the most straightforward way to reduce space consumption.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

You can't reduce VMFS size: Reducing the size of a VMFS datastore

EBA

Thanks for your reply.

But I don't want to reduce the datastore.

I only want to reduce the lun which is used at 10% and is not growing.

I keep this KB for further use.

aborzenkov

You can't reduce LUN size without reducing size of filesystem on this LUN. 10% used space from host point of view does not mean only 10% is consumed on storage. Check actual space consumption with "lun show -v" - you cannot go below this value even if you disable space reservation for this LUN (without using deduplication and/or compression).

Storage vMotion as suggested in article I mentioned is really the most straightforward way to reduce space consumption.

EBA

Ok I understand.

Thanks a lot.

paulstringfellow

you can just thin provision the LUN, if you go to the LUN properties you can uncheck the fully provision option, this will thin provision the LUN and reduce it to it's actual size.

Public