ONTAP Discussions

Snapshoot policy

JayNAS

I have some questions which I might know the answer as I used to work for NetApp but need confirmation, please reply to me only.

Snapshot policies can only be created on Cluster or VMS (VSERVER) level right?

Snapshot policies when created in vserver level, does not mean all volumes will inherit the policy within that vserver, that is only when we actually apply the policy to the volume, right?

If I create a snapshot policy on a cluster level it does not mean all volumes will also inherit the policy within the cluster, right?

I can delete/edit the root volume of the cluster and also of the vserver VOLUME-ROOT?

Is there a way to apply the cluster snap policy to all volumes? Is there a way to apply the vserver snap policy to all volumes?

Is the Vserver root volume default policy always be there even when we apply another policy to the vserver itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hmoubara

Hello,

Please find the answer to your queries below:

1. Snapshot policies can only be created on Cluster or VMS (VSERVER) level right?

Correct, the snapshot policy create command will create a cluster wide policy if the -vserver parameter was not specified.

2. Snapshot policies when created in vserver level, does not mean all volumes will inherit the policy within that vserver, that is only when we actually apply the policy to the volume, right?

When you create a policy, it is not applied to the volume automatically. You will have to assign the policy to the volume using the command vol modify -vserver <> -volume <> -snapshot-policy <snapshot-policyname>

3.If I create a snapshot policy on a cluster level it does not mean all volumes will also inherit the policy within the cluster, right?

Policy do not get applied till you tell it to.

4. I can delete/edit the root volume of the cluster and also of the vserver VOLUME-ROOT?

If you are referring to the snapshot policy, you can modified to whatever policy you have created or just set it to none.

5. Is there a way to apply the cluster snap policy to all volumes? Is there a way to apply the vserver snap policy to all volumes?

To apply the policy you will need to use the command vol modify -snapshot-policy

You can apply to all by using the * in the command:

Example:

vol modify -vserver test -volume * -snapshot-policy test

6. Is the Vserver root volume default policy always be there even when we apply another policy to the vserver itself?

The policy is there but the volume will follow whatever policy you have assigned to it.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hmoubara

Hello,

Please find the answer to your queries below:

1. Snapshot policies can only be created on Cluster or VMS (VSERVER) level right?

Correct, the snapshot policy create command will create a cluster wide policy if the -vserver parameter was not specified.

2. Snapshot policies when created in vserver level, does not mean all volumes will inherit the policy within that vserver, that is only when we actually apply the policy to the volume, right?

When you create a policy, it is not applied to the volume automatically. You will have to assign the policy to the volume using the command vol modify -vserver <> -volume <> -snapshot-policy <snapshot-policyname>

3.If I create a snapshot policy on a cluster level it does not mean all volumes will also inherit the policy within the cluster, right?

Policy do not get applied till you tell it to.

4. I can delete/edit the root volume of the cluster and also of the vserver VOLUME-ROOT?

If you are referring to the snapshot policy, you can modified to whatever policy you have created or just set it to none.

5. Is there a way to apply the cluster snap policy to all volumes? Is there a way to apply the vserver snap policy to all volumes?

To apply the policy you will need to use the command vol modify -snapshot-policy

You can apply to all by using the * in the command:

Example:

vol modify -vserver test -volume * -snapshot-policy test

6. Is the Vserver root volume default policy always be there even when we apply another policy to the vserver itself?

The policy is there but the volume will follow whatever policy you have assigned to it.

Thanks 

JayNAS

Thank you so much @hmoubara yeah that confirms what I thought.

You the best!

JayNAS

@hmoubara do you have the command to disable the default policy?

hmoubara

You should be able to use the modify command. check the below example:

cluster1::*> snapshot policy modify -policy default -enabled false

Public