ONTAP Discussions

Space release after volume delete

nicholas4704

Hi

How space is released after volume deletion in ONTAP 8.3.1?

I quisced/break/deleted Snapmirror destination. I did nothing on the source. Then offlined/deleted destination volume, volume disappeared from 'volume show', but no space was released.

I found the following message in logs:

INFORMATIONAL wafl.vvol.renamed: Volume 'vsCIFS_foto_mirror@vserver:3baa94ea-039d-11e5-acfe-00a0987ca09e' renamed to 'vsCIFS_foto_mirror_1035@vserver:3baa94ea-039d-11e5-acfe-00a0987ca09e'

I checked space in 8 hours (before midnight), no changes, still space was not released.

But it in the morning space finally released in aggregate.

I found this at 4 AM (in 13 hours after deletion)

INFORMATIONAL wafl.vvol.destroyed: Volume vsCIFS_foto_mirror_1035@vserver:3baa94ea-039d-11e5-acfe-00a0987ca09e destroyed.

In 7-mode a background scanner started after deletion and you could see how space is released.

Can anybody explain how this works in cDOT?

Thank you.

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Deleted volumes are added to volume recovery queue and removed after 12 hours. You can change it using vserver modify -vserver <vserver> -volume-delete-retention-hours or explicitly remove queued volumes using volume recovery-qeueue purge.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

aborzenkov

Deleted volumes are added to volume recovery queue and removed after 12 hours. You can change it using vserver modify -vserver <vserver> -volume-delete-retention-hours or explicitly remove queued volumes using volume recovery-qeueue purge.

nicholas4704

Hi

Thank you. You're right. It is new way of delete starting from 8.3.

I found full answer here:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1014958&locale=en_US

Nick

Public