ONTAP Discussions

Space release after volume delete

nicholas4704

Hi

How space is released after volume deletion in ONTAP 8.3.1?

I quisced/break/deleted Snapmirror destination. I did nothing on the source. Then offlined/deleted destination volume, volume disappeared from 'volume show', but no space was released.

I found the following message in logs:

INFORMATIONAL wafl.vvol.renamed: Volume 'vsCIFS_foto_mirror@vserver:3baa94ea-039d-11e5-acfe-00a0987ca09e' renamed to 'vsCIFS_foto_mirror_1035@vserver:3baa94ea-039d-11e5-acfe-00a0987ca09e'

I checked space in 8 hours (before midnight), no changes, still space was not released.

But it in the morning space finally released in aggregate.

I found this at 4 AM (in 13 hours after deletion)

INFORMATIONAL wafl.vvol.destroyed: Volume vsCIFS_foto_mirror_1035@vserver:3baa94ea-039d-11e5-acfe-00a0987ca09e destroyed.

In 7-mode a background scanner started after deletion and you could see how space is released.

Can anybody explain how this works in cDOT?

Thank you.

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Deleted volumes are added to volume recovery queue and removed after 12 hours. You can change it using vserver modify -vserver <vserver> -volume-delete-retention-hours or explicitly remove queued volumes using volume recovery-qeueue purge.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

aborzenkov

Deleted volumes are added to volume recovery queue and removed after 12 hours. You can change it using vserver modify -vserver <vserver> -volume-delete-retention-hours or explicitly remove queued volumes using volume recovery-qeueue purge.

View solution in original post

nicholas4704

Hi

Thank you. You're right. It is new way of delete starting from 8.3.

I found full answer here:

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1014958&locale=en_US

Nick

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public