ONTAP Discussions

Test system NFS access to a snapshot of a production volume

wgkorb

We have a volume that contains data served via NFSv3 to a production system. From time to time, we'd like to use SnapDrive for Unix (SDU) to create a snapshot of that volume and mount the data on a test system. The test system should not have access to the production volume, for obvious reasons.

I have been able to create the snapshot and mount it in a different place on the production server, no problem.

# snapdrive snap create -fs /data/prod -snapname refresh_20171230_0040     
Starting snap create /data/prod
  WARNING:  DO NOT CONTROL-C!
            If snap create is interrupted, incomplete snapdrive
         generated data may remain on the filer volume(s)
         which may interfere with other snap operations.
Successfully created snapshot refresh_20171230_0040 on corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data

snapshot refresh_20171230_0040 contains:
        file system: /data/prod
        filer directory: corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data/data_prod

# snapdrive snap connect \
 -fs /data/prod /data/stgtst \
 -noreserve -clone unrestricted -verbose \
 -snapname corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data:refresh_20171230_0040

connecting /data/stgtst
          to filer directory: corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data_0/data_prod
        Volume copy corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data_0 ... created
                 (original: vol_data)
Successfully connected to snapshot corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data:step8img_stg_20171230_0040
        file system: /data/stgtst
        filer directory: corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data_0/data_prod
0001-860 Info: Host interface 172.16.194.56 can see storage system corp-dc-8040-nfs,
but has read-only NFS permission to directory /vol/vol_stepimages/stepimages_prod.
If this is intentional (examples: your routing setup will only use allowed
interfaces; the directories are mounted with the read-only option; etc.), you
may safely ignore this warning.
Otherwise, we suggest verifying NFS permissions on the storage system to avoid any
potential I/O errors.

This last bit appears to be a warning, because when the command completes, the snapshot is mounted on /data/stgtst and I can successfully create, modify, and delete files & directories in that share. So far, so good.

However, when I try to run the same command on the test system, which is not included in the export policy for the production volume, it fails as follows:

# snapdrive snap connect \
 -fs /data/prod /data/stgtst \
 -noreserve -clone unrestricted -verbose \
 -snapname corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data:refresh_20171230_0040

connecting /data/stgtst
          to filer directory: corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data_0/data_prod
        Volume copy corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data_0 ... created
                 (original: vol_data)

Cleaning up ...
 destroying empty snapdrive-generated flexclone corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol/vol_data_0 ... done
0001-860 Info: Host interface 172.20.36.30 can see storage system corp-dc-8040-nfs,
but has read-only NFS permission to directory /vol/vol_data/data_prod.
If this is intentional (examples: your routing setup will only use allowed
interfaces; the directories are mounted with the read-only option; etc.), you
may safely ignore this warning.
Otherwise, we suggest verifying NFS permissions on the storage system to avoid any
potential I/O errors.
0001-034 Command error: mount failed: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting corp-dc-8040-nfs:/vol_data_0/data_prod

So the mount fails due to the test server not being included in the export policy of the production volume.

Is there a way using SDU to complete the mount on the test server by using a different export policy? What is the best practice for this type of operation?

Thanks,

Bill

1 REPLY 1

Re: Test system NFS access to a snapshot of a production volume

AlexDawson

Hi there,

I have reviewed the manual for SDU at https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2565549 and there is a configuration option of "check-export-permission-nfs-clone" (Page 38).

I do not have a facility easily available to test, but have you tried turning this option "off" in the snapdrive.conf file on your system? 

Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public